• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocker Panel

Limited89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
To keep this short, I am going to be covering my rocker panels with either 3M Spray-On liner, Duplicolor-roll on, Duplicolor-spray on, or Herculiner (I have heard Heruliner fades-hardens and is very porous. I would like to know which will last the longest and look the nicest years down the road. Is there a difference between the Duplicolor roll-on and Duplicolor spray-on.

Well I was thinking of something more DIY, so it would cut down the cost and I would learn a few things. I'm sure rhino and line-x can't beat $100. I'm assuming their material is better quality?

I used Duplicolor Spray-On... Got 2 coats out of the $8 can. It looks good but isn't too gritty like your typical bedliner. It holds up good though, slid the jeep sideways into a stump and dented the rocker but didn't tear off any of the sprayed on part. There isn't really a difference, Paint-On is better for larger applications like a whole truck bed, but the spray on is quick and easy.

Who needs rocker panels :)

DentedRocker2.jpg

I used the 3M spray on stuff on my rockers, fenders and flares. It holds up really nicely and is pretty sturdy and has a nice finish to it. I used some cheap stuff the first time, the $4 spray on stuff but it peeled off and I had to redo everything with some more expensive stuff, the name brand stuff is worth it. Napa, 3M, duplicolor, etc

XJSlater said:
I used Duplicolor Spray-On... Got 2 coats out of the $8 can. It looks good but isn't too gritty like your typical bedliner. It holds up good though, slid the jeep sideways into a stump and dented the rocker but didn't tear off any of the sprayed on part. There isn't really a difference, Paint-On is better for larger applications like a whole truck bed, but the spray on is quick and easy.
I used the Duplicolor spray on as well and am very happy. I didn't do much prep work either. Just scuffed it up and wiped it down and sprayed on two coats. I sprayed right over some glue that the PO had used in a vain attempt to reattach the rubber molding. Also sprayed over so thick pinstriping. I posted 3 before and 3 after pix at http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/no_gamecocks/94%20Jeep%20XJ/ if you want to take a look. There are some streaks in this picture but that's pollen after a rain shower.
RockerAfter3.jpg

I think you can buy a sprayer from Harbor Freight fairly cheap and then buy the material on the internet. I think the cost would be near $100 but I haven't tried to price it.

Back