• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SURCO? safari racks.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT73119.aspx

I use that mount on my Surco rack. It works pretty well.

I was trying to find a picture of it, but I guess its never occured to me to take a picture of my mounted hi-lift.. and the roof rack is hanging at home in the garage (i only throw it on for overnight trips).

:EDIT:

Heres a pic. Not the greatest but you can see its there, I guess.

715137126203_0_bg.jpg

^^ I like that one^^^
I dont like the surco mount because it puts the highlift up a little to high for my tastes. I wanted somethnig that puls the lift lower to the rack. I think i'll go with those ones you posted. How did you mount them to your basket?

Motorvated said:
^^ I like that one^^^
I dont like the surco mount because it puts the highlift up a little to high for my tastes. I wanted somethnig that puls the lift lower to the rack. I think i'll go with those ones you posted. How did you mount them to your basket?

3 small bolts at each end. At first I thought it was kinda weak, but its proved to be more than enough over the years.

Watch your mounting. Originally I didn't mount it high enough, and the lip of the jack was hitting my roof and scratched it up - I had to move the whole thing back an inch and up 3/4" or so.

I had my hi-lift mounted on my SURCO rack, but I added 1/4" steel plates behind the fore and aft stanchions, for added support.

I however found that the weather really beats up the jack mechanism, and I've had to rebuild it several times now due to rust issues.

So, I've removed the jack mechanism and the jack foot, from the jack rail; and I have those items stowed away under the rear seat inside my XJ. Only the jack rail remains mounted on my SURCO rack. Helps to deter potential theives too, when the jack rail looks like a fence post.....

Ivan said:
I however found that the weather really beats up the jack mechanism, and I've had to rebuild it several times now due to rust issues.

Indeed. My jack is in the garage next to the roof rack. I don't even bother bringing it to larger runs anymore, enough people have them if someone breaks, and I'll winch before using it for recovery, if I can.

The stock jack goes under your axle tube, and will lift an xj with 37's no problem.

You don't use your hi-lift to change a flat tire.

1) its not stable enough

2) it lifts from the body, so you have to lift WAAY up to max the suspension and lift a wheel.

Hm..learn something everyday. Thanks Cal. I think i'll get that mount, and just throw it up there when I go into the woods. I got the highlift for free...so i'll use it, or something lol. I plan on sticking a WARN winch up front in the near future. Highlifts can come in handy for some situations though.

When it comes to winch time, look at the t-max winches.

I used to pick on them a lot, but a vendor that owed me some coin carried t-max stuff, and we made a deal. I am *SUPER* impressed by it. I've had to do some very long (2+ hour) pulling sessions, and watched multiple warns crap out while it just kept going.

When I was looking, T-Max was about $100 cheaper for a comparable device. I had the option of paying the extra $100 and going warn, but felt like taking a gamble.

I diamond plated the sides of my Surco and used the Hi-Lift 4xRac
Picture062.jpg

I had to squueze the side together on the mount a bit in the vise. Drilled a few holes and mounted it up . Works fine.
Picture063.jpg

Picture005-3.jpg

I did the that originally without the diamond plate. The plating was an after thought.

Back