• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997+ Power DOor Lock Actuators...

selarep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1997+ XJ WITHOUT power locks... my door lock actuator broke and i picked up a used one for $20 at my local yard from a 1997+ 4 door XJ WITH POWER LOCKS...
I was gonna do a power lock install on my 3 doors (I have a 2 door XJ) but I noticed the 1997+ that there are wires/plug running from the lock like this:
3773-3753-9301act.jpg

Can some one tell me if the 1997+ door actuators come with the power locks built into the actuator its self? see in the above photo where the plug goes, would all i have to do is wire that to a brain instead of using a universal door lock motor on the door like this:
doorlock1.jpg

TIA

Yes, the door lock acutuar is incorporated into the entire mechnism you posted. The power plug is the part in in the lower left part of the mechism, that looks "ovalish"....

Didn't somebody sell a kit with either all 4 or 5 power locks AND two remotes for like $80 or so. I remember if from like 5 or 6 years ago, I was planning on doing it but that was when my jobs and being unemployed were kind of bouncing around so the money was not there. Might have even been a JC Whitney kit.

Ivan said:
Yes, the door lock acutuar is incorporated into the entire mechnism you posted. The power plug is the part in in the lower left part of the mechism, that looks "ovalish"....

So instead of using the universal door lock kit, all i really need is the OME power door locks and the wiring, right??? THen I could wire it up myself...
so there's no need for the universal kit?

RichP said:
Didn't somebody sell a kit with either all 4 or 5 power locks AND two remotes for like $80 or so. I remember if from like 5 or 6 years ago, I was planning on doing it but that was when my jobs and being unemployed were kind of bouncing around so the money was not there. Might have even been a JC Whitney kit.

Yeah... that second picture i posted what a part of that kit you're talking about. I did that kit on my 93 and it worked great, but on the 97+ those little motors are all in the door latch parts as in the 1st picture i listed

selarep said:
So instead of using the universal door lock kit, all i really need is the OME power door locks and the wiring, right??? THen I could wire it up myself... so there's no need for the universal kit?

Theoretically, yes. If you applied power to the newer door locks, they open and close.

Keep an eye on Ebay. They go for sale quite often there, but don't pay more than $20 or so per actuator. The last ones I bought cost me $10 each. I've been stock piling replacement ones for my XJ, as I've already replace the driver's door one. I figure the rest will eventually fail, so I'm ready when they do....

Ivan said:
Theoretically, yes. If you applied power to the newer door locks, they open and close.

Keep an eye on Ebay. They go for sale quite often there, but don't pay more than $20 or so per actuator. The last ones I bought cost me $10 each. I've been stock piling replacement ones for my XJ, as I've already replace the driver's door one. I figure the rest will eventually fail, so I'm ready when they do....

awesome. I'l go get the wiring and the other pass. door lock from that other jeep in the yard today... this way all i have to do is wire myself the actuators without having to drill the universal power lock kit in.
Thanks

The only downside I see from using the OEM ones vs the kit is the kit comes with keyfob remotes and a controller. Personally the only reason I want the electric locks is so I can unlock the doors when I have my hands full or when it's raining and I don't want to pause for 5 or 6 seconds fishing with a key.

Back