• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting engine/trans/T-case from rolled XJ-okay?

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm planning to get the whole drivetrain from a 99 XJ to put into mine. Here's the background I've got on it. It's got 70,000 miles which seems good, but it was rolled. The only other thing is the throttle body has been exposed with it raining off and on for the last month. I don't expect a whole lot of water got past the throttle body and if so...where exactly would it have gone? Is that enough to be worried about? And what damage could the roll have done? The only bad part would be is if the engine didn't shut down it could've run dry on oil right? Would you guys trust the engine okay or should I get a different one? Thanks for the help.
-Collin

First, the '99 electronics certainly far from compatible with your '90 Renix, but I'm gonna assume you know about all that and have that worked out with whatever degree of swap you're gonna do with the new drivetrain.

I'm also assuming that you can't hear it run before buying it?

A rolled engine is kind of a gamble, because you don't know how long the engine may have stayed running while on it's side, or upside-down. There's a possibility that there could be internal damage from oil getting past the pistons into the cylinders and "hydro-locking". Bent rods generally are what results when that happens. This is worst case scenario stuff.

As far as water into the intake from an open throttle body and rain... depends on how much rain for how long. But I'd imagine it'd take quite a downpour to get enough water in thru the TB and flood the intake to get past the valves.

At the least, pull the plugs, look for moisture or oil saturation. Spin the crank using a wrench for a few revolutions and check for binding (while plugs are out).

My .02 anyway.

YELLAHEEP said:
First, the '99 electronics certainly far from compatible with your '90 Renix, but I'm gonna assume you know about all that and have that worked out with whatever degree of swap you're gonna do with the new drivetrain.

I'm also assuming that you can't hear it run before buying it?

A rolled engine is kind of a gamble, because you don't know how long the engine may have stayed running while on it's side, or upside-down. There's a possibility that there could be internal damage from oil getting past the pistons into the cylinders and "hydro-locking". Bent rods generally are what results when that happens. This is worst case scenario stuff.

As far as water into the intake from an open throttle body and rain... depends on how much rain for how long. But I'd imagine it'd take quite a downpour to get enough water in thru the TB and flood the intake to get past the valves.

At the least, pull the plugs, look for moisture or oil saturation. Spin the crank using a wrench for a few revolutions and check for binding (while plugs are out).

My .02 anyway.
Oh yeah well aware that the HO engine is incompatible with my Renix system although I already have the TPS adapter from Hesco so I could make it work if I wanted. I'm swapping in the whole 97+ dash, wiring harness, etc. though. I can't hear it run before I buy it I don't think although that might be a good thing to ask. It doesn't look like the roll was too hard it was maybe just a flop sideways but it's hard to tell. There hasn't been much rain into the tb I don't think. I pulled the intake boot about a month ago not remembering or realizing at the time I wanted the engine too. I haven't been back since, but I think there has only been about 2 storms since then. Pulling the plugs is a great idea, I didn't think of that and I will take a big wrench to spin the harmonic balancer with too. Thanks for the help Yellaheep.
-Collin

I'm not too sure about XJs but I had a Bronco(I know what your thinking) which always gave me trouble on off canter hills due to the rollover safety switch. That awitch was designed to stop fuel flow in the event of a rollover accident. If Chryco installed such a device that would have stopped any engine from running with it on its side. DO NOT KNOW BUT COULD BE A FACTOR.

mikeforte said:
I'm not too sure about XJs but I had a Bronco(I know what your thinking) which always gave me trouble on off canter hills due to the rollover safety switch. That awitch was designed to stop fuel flow in the event of a rollover accident. If Chryco installed such a device that would have stopped any engine from running with it on its side. DO NOT KNOW BUT COULD BE A FACTOR.
I'm not sure if 4.0s had one or not...I've never heard of such a thing on them, but that doesn't mean anything, I guess the later ones especially might have had them. I know a few of my friends have softly flopped their MJs on the trail and left them running, but those are Renix and early HO engines, and they've never been completely over. I guess the problem is either way this is going to be a gamble depending on how long it was running when it was rolled over. Too bad they don't put kill switches on them like on jetskis when you fall off or it rolls over it shuts the engine off.

Back