• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bumper brackets?

j-nut

NAXJA Forum User
i just had a friend build bumpers for my xj. when he made the brackets, he only used the stock mounting points and i have tow points on the bumpers. will the front 3 bolts per side be ok. i noticed rusty's tow hook brackets only use 1 more bolt hole. i know what i want him to do to the rear brackets. the question i have is does that 1 extra bolt hole make that big of a difference and which hole does it utilize?

Yes this is a valid question but the search would net you a lot of helpfull info.

No this is not enough bolts. The 3 are not strong enough to hold anything. You will need to make longer brackets and tie though the sub chassis. You make your own holes. Easiest way to do this is make a templet for the drivers side using the 3 holes for the power steering box ( that will make 6 holes) most go a little further and tie into the hole that nothing goes to (just past your swaybar end). Then use the templet to make both sides and drill holes to mount for the drivers side. Really easy.

ea3a9e61.jpg

Here are teh brackets I made for mine, my recovery point actually goes through the tube i used for my bumper., solid peice not relying on welds.

ea019611.jpg

i did do a search before i posted and did not find any post that really answered my question. i did find out about the JCR tie brackets today. where the bumper is already made and welded together, would it be ok to use the jcr brackets? has anyone seen or heard of there being any problems when using them? it would make it alot quicker due to my friend hurting his back.

the jcr brackets dont allow for much room for a weld since the brackets end exactly with the stock tabs that stick out. i was thinking the same thing so i called and that is what i was told, they would work out great if they had about another inch or two added to them. give aj at ajsarmor a call 563-924-2286, he doesnt have them on his site but has them for sale and you can get them with a couple of different lengths, just talked to him, he is a great guy and will get you what you need. good luck

Last edited:
Back