• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shimmy

Walt Stanley

Pine Barrens Trucker
Hi: I have a shimmy at around 60mph. 2" lift. I did play with the LCA shims a little, actually I removed them, so I have a stock setup. Should I try adding shims to both LCA's to adjust the camber a little? Why doesn't anyone mention using a dropped Pitman Arm?
Walt

At only 2", your stock arms shouldn't be any problem. Use the shims to set your pinion angle.

Did you get an alignment after the lift? This is needed after any lift. I've always done this myself with no problems, XJs are EASY to align. Check this out http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

If that's not it, then I'd start looking at TREs, Track Bar, Ball Joints, Hubs, etc...

A drop pitman arm is not a good idea because it throws off your drag link and track bar angles. If these are not parallel, you will have bumpsteer. Your stock steering will be fine at that height (and higher!), just make sure the joints are good.

I thought I sent a reply two days ago, but I guess it didn't get thru.
Thanks for your reply. It was just the help I needed. The article was great. Thanks for the help, it was right on.
Walt

Back