• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for cheap shock extender ideas?

4x4xj

NAXJA Forum User
alright i added 2 more inches to the jeep and now my 3" lift shocks are getting pissed off at my 5" lift. so anyone know a way to extended the shocks? i heard of using coupling nuts and threaded rod for the front? they are 3/8s right?

then as for the rear what to do? any ideas? thanks.

since im not at my jeep its in spokane im in seattle. and im going on a big 4x4 this weekend in spokane i may seem dumb by asking for sizes cause when i take them from work i want to have the right ones. thanks

measurements and sizes would be great. and i would be installing most on the trail. its a long story.

why dont you just take it back down to 3" until you get your shocks

or get some rockyroad outfitter bpe and adjust your bumpstops

Find a friend w/ a mig welder and fab your extenders easily. For a 3 inch extender, try using 1.5 inch square stock 2.5 inches long. Cut 1.5 inch wide sections of 1.5 inch angle iron and weld four pieces to opposite sides of the square stock. The angles will be flush on one end of the square stock and extend a half inch above the other end to allow space for the shock eye. Use 3/16's thick steel (or 14 gauge} for strength and locate your mounting holes with your shock. Reuse original mounting bolts to secure extender and new grade 8's for attaching the shock's bar pin to it. Prime and paint. Whether or not it looks pretty or crude, or just pretty crude, depends upon the welding and grinding. Mine turned out rock solid and mounted securely. I am making another set of 2 inch extenders for the front shocks and attempting to do a neater job of it since they are more visable. Less than $5 worth of steel and a free friend's help....can't get much cheaper than that. Detoursusa extenders are nice but they run $45 a piece plus shipping.

Use the rear sway bar end links.

I think Bowhunter means use the bracket on the axle end of the rear sway bar. They bolt into the original upper mount location, and are about the right hieght. Just remember to use the steel bushing that is in the endlink of the sway bar to remove the slop from the shock eye (press the bushing into the shock eye, then reuse the bolts that held the end link in place).

like some of the other posts i will have to agree with, the cheapest and by far easiest way is using longer 3/8 bolts like about 2.5in. and to use as spacers for the shocks, try some 1/2in. nuts. they just need to be large enough on the inside diameter to fit around the bolt without binding. use some larger washers too, so the head of the bolt doesnt slip through the shock eyelets.
this is what i use on mine and it works just fine until i can save enough for longer shocks.
and as for the rear. a friend of mine just used the stock lower shock mounts and welded them to the side of the axle. if you can or a friend can weld well then it will be ok.

ren said:
I think Bowhunter means use the bracket on the axle end of the rear sway bar. They bolt into the original upper mount location, and are about the right hieght. Just remember to use the steel bushing that is in the endlink of the sway bar to remove the slop from the shock eye (press the bushing into the shock eye, then reuse the bolts that held the end link in place).
Yep thats what I meant , Thanks

Back