• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to camp near Big Bear on Memorial Day

n1ywb

NAXJA Forum User
A few friends and I are planning to go up to Big Bear for some camping and wheeling. The hitch is we want to go up Memorial Day weekend. I already called the rangers and they said we don't have a snowflake's chance in hell of getting a developed campsite or a yellow post site, so we are relegated to backcountry camping. We would like to get as far away from everybody else as my buddies stock Tracker can get. If that's not far enough we'll ditch his tracker then we can go wherever my buddies Tacoma TRD can go. Any suggestions on where to pitch camp?

n1ywb said:
A few friends and I are planning to go up to Big Bear for some camping and wheeling. The hitch is we want to go up Memorial Day weekend. I already called the rangers and they said we don't have a snowflake's chance in hell of getting a developed campsite or a yellow post site, so we are relegated to backcountry camping. We would like to get as far away from everybody else as my buddies stock Tracker can get. If that's not far enough we'll ditch his tracker then we can go wherever my buddies Tacoma TRD can go. Any suggestions on where to pitch camp?

Man, that pretty much rules out anything outside of graded fire roads. :)

Go with what GSequoia said, he knows that area fairly well as evidenced by our "shortcut" to Holcomb creek.

markw said:
Man, that pretty much rules out anything outside of graded fire roads. :)

The tracker is pretty lame. Tacoma TRDs roll on 31's and have a factory e-locker so it's not quite so lame. It'll drag it's belly getting there though. Silly long wheelbase pickups.

2N02 looks pretty remote and also convenient to pontiac sluice which will be fun for me :)

good luck finding much if you dont get there early. we went the year before last and ended up camping in JV all the yellow post sites and camp grounds we knew of were full by noon saturday

Gerr said:
good luck finding much if you dont get there early. we went the year before last and ended up camping in JV all the yellow post sites and camp grounds we knew of were full by noon saturday

Well shoot we're thinking about going up thurs night, maybe we'll get lucky and find a yellow post... Pardon my ignorance but I only moved out here two years ago, what's JV?

Dispersed.jpg

BigBearYP.jpg

GrimmJeeper said:
last time i had ass trails i had to stop eating greasy food for a month :wow:
And I thought that ass trails were usually soft.:dunno:

Kyung

we are staying at yellow post #5 someone already there I don't know how many people arer going to be there if you call me saturday morning you may be able to squeeze in Jay Lovitt 951-285-3007

My buddy drove up Thursday night and managed to score yellow post 31. It's a pretty nice spot, lots of parking and flat ground and far enough off the beaten path that we only had one moron mistake our camp SITE for a camp GROUND.

We ran Gold Mt and John Bull, good times! Hopefully I'll get up there for the NAXJA run next year.

520195074_82902ef951.jpg

Yellow post 31

520231461_2a895b5cd7.jpg

Official Big Bear RTI log

520150422_58bc68dc22.jpg

Boxy the XJ perched triumphantly on John Bull

520150412_4ba2600c21.jpg

My buddy's Tacoma, stuck on the first obstacle on John Bull :roflmao:

Wow congrats, a heavily modified, 6 inch lifted Jeep on 33s with front and rear lockers did better than a 2 inch lifted Tacoma on 32s on an entirely stock driveline. Note also that no Ford parts have infected my rig. :laugh:

Let's go to the dunes and we'll see how your buggy springs do on whoops and sand at anything over 5 mph.

n1ywb said:
My buddy's Tacoma, stuck on the first obstacle on John Bull :roflmao:

PottedPork said:
Let's go to the dunes and we'll see how your buggy springs do on whoops and sand at anything over 5 mph.

www.jeepspeed.com

i go down to glamis 3 or four times a year and i dont have any problems. and im lifted and on taller tires. ask tony "tcm_glx" how xjs do in the sand on whoops.

:D

PottedPork said:
Wow congrats, a heavily modified, 6 inch lifted Jeep on 33s with front and rear lockers did better than a 2 inch lifted Tacoma on 32s on an entirely stock driveline. Note also that no Ford parts have infected my rig. :laugh:

um yeah I wouldnt pick on a xj in the sand dunes. they do very well. ever hear of jeep speed????

Yeah I'm fully aware of what a Jeepspeed rig will do. I also know that N1YWB's springs are stiffer than all hell and his little old OME shocks will overheat in about 10 seconds. It ain't exactly a Jeepspeed rig.

I'm not here to start a dickwaving contest about vehicle brands - I'm only pointing out differences in buildups between his rig and mine. Sorry to offend all of you sandbunnies.

Last edited:
PottedPork said:
Can't wait to drive circles around you there, too :D

Back