• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lost my tach and ammeter

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
well I just changed my alternator (trying to track down what is making my belt squeal, the alternator had a squeal to it, so I replaced it and an idler which looked to have a bad bearing to no avail) with the new alternator I get nothing from the ammeter, and the tach has also stopped working. I also think that I may be getting incorrect readings from the temp sensor, says I am just shy of over heating even though the jeep has cooked down a good hour or so since it was last run. I belive that the fan pully must be causing the belt to squeal, we have tried old belt and it squeals too. It appears as if the belt is digging into the timing cover and is sliding off the fan pulley. I have just recenly installed an oil catch can (DIY as it appears on Dino Savva's 4.0 performance page) which is working correctly (doesn't appear to be any vaccum leaks although I can hear air hiss through the can, think of when u are putting air in your tires). Also my high idle problem has returned with the jeep idleing at around 1000 rpm. I would almost think it is a vaccum leak but from what I can tell the lines for the catch can we installed are good and everything else looks fine too.

If the belt is rubbing your timing chain cover then chances are your harmonic balancer is bad. The outer ring on it tends to work its way back towards the block with age. Replace it as soon as you can.

Back