• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97-'01 Window regulator fix for $20

rstarch345

NAXJA Forum User
Wednesday night, on my way home from the airport traveling down the interstate, I heard a sudden bang and an explosion of air from my drivers window. First thing that came to mind was that my window was struck by something, but after the momentary shock wore off, I realized I didn’t have glass beads all over the place. The temp was in the 40s and the air coming in through the windows traveling at 70MPH most uncomfortable. I quickly worked my way over to the berm where I looked over the situation. I pushed the window button up and heard the whir of the motor, but the window didn’t move. I pushed it down just for the heck of it. The window regulator had broken. Since there wasn’t anything I could do about it, I got back on the highway and turned my heater on max.

Thursday night, I pulled the door trim off and got the regulator pulled out. After checking out the regulator, sure enough, the cable was separated from the window lift section.

I’ve been driving my XJ without an of the driver door trim, which includes the window/door module, and none of the windows work. All power for the windows is controlled from the drivers door.

Well, Thursday night I got on line and was checking prices for ’97 – ’01 window regulators and prices ranged from $180 to $210. That was not acceptable. I shot Davey from Daveys Jeep Parts and email for a price on a used regulator. The price he gave me was $70. Still too much, especially for a used unit that could last a week and give me the same problem. I continued searching and finally found an answer from a little known specialty house, Steiger Performance. He has come up with a repair kit that will last virtually forever and all for $20. Here’s his web site http://www.steigerperformance.com/ . He has an excellent writeup in a PDF format for those wanting to know how to disassemble the door components and another writeup for the modification of the regulator to accept his part.

It took me about ½ hour to do the mods per the instructions then the reassembly of the door parts and trim. I’m quite happy with the results and price and the additional fact that baring a motor problem, my regulator ought to last another 99 years.

Excellent find!!! Subscribing to this thread for future reference :)

Damn I wish I had known about that site last year when both mine took a crap.

Definitely bookmarking that site. Great find!:thumbup:

Good stuff, I've gone through one pass. side and two drivers side... and the drivers side it starting to make the "popiung" noise again.

Thanks a million for this!

My passenger regulator broke last November and my drivers broke last Saturday. I have a hose clamp around the track to keep the window up - and the way the track is made if you put the barrel to the outside it keeps the window up and cannot slide down.

Wow great find. I was expecting a $20 DIY questionable mod, not a high quality repair kit. This is great. I've already replaced my drivers side front, but the days are limited on the passenger side. Don't let this link disappear.

Mine made the popping noise when I rolled it up Saturday - so I had to roll it down and try it again to see what the noise way and then it broke and the window went all the way down. Had to pull the door panel off when I got home to get it back up - thats when i discovered that I could put a hose clamp on the track to keep the window up. That took alot of the pressure off to get it fixed ASAP.

I fixed my passenger side a couple of weeks ago with three cotter pins. If my hack breaks, or does not keep the window closed tightly, I'm going for this fix. I don't think you have to worry about this piece breaking again with their fix, it looks quite beefy.

A piece of wood and some duct tape creatively placed b/w the window and the bottom of the door always worked good for me :D

I just installed the part for my drivers window. Cost around $30.00 and around 2 hours time plus the time to remove and reinstall the regulator in the door. I used the hose clamp to keep the window up while I waited for the part to arrive. Ordered it on a Wednesday night and it was in the mailbox Saturday.

my passenger window started going SLOW then I heard the "poping/jumping of the window last weekend... Do you think I need a motor or will this kit be a good fix?

From what you posted I would guess that it is starting to break. If it does break and the window slides down in the door then you will have to take the door panel off to get the window back up. I would take the regulator out and apply power to the motor and see if it runs up and down ok. It is not a hard fix - just a bit of a pain.

I've had the window regulator apart on my bench for 2 weeks trying to find an alternative for the ripoff from DC oem. here it is

Great fix.

IIRC, somewhere around mid year 99 or 2000 the weak plastic tab design on the regulator was changed out for a newer design with a metal tab. All replacement regs sold by Jeep after 2k were the metal tab design.
I bought a complete set of metal tab regs from a wrecked '01 and sold off my 4 1997 plastic regs on ebay.

JEEPZZ said:
Great fix.

IIRC, somewhere around mid year 99 or 2000 the weak plastic tab design on the regulator was changed out for a newer design with a metal tab.
That's a nice piece of info to know. I think I'll go JY hunting tomorrow and grab a newer regulator/snake.

Back