• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep running rich

1993 Red XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ is running rich. I replaced the 02 sensor but hasen't cured the problem. The jeep runs good. Could the MAP sensor or the coolant temperature sensor cause it to run rich.

How many miles on the motor? It is possible that you have leaky injectors, dribbling a little too much fuel into the chamber. Mine does it pretty much constantly. I guess I need to replace them, since my eyes are starting to burn when I have the back window open, and let off of the throttle. (266,103 miles)

So, the one before this one had 438,513 miles on it. The injectors never leaked that I knew of...(then again, the blow-by got so bad, I usually got stuck with 'skeeter patrol when it went wheeling :p)

To answer your question, yes, the coolant temp sensor and also the map sensor could cause your jeep to run rich. Although, it could also be a number of other problems, as previously mentioned leaky injectors could be to blame, high fuel pressure caused by a stuck closed fuel pressure regulator or plugged or kinked return line.

My jeep has 198,000 miles on it. I have a crack in my exhaust manifold could this make the 02 sensor not read correctly and cuase the jeep to run rich

1993 Red XJ said:
My jeep has 198,000 miles on it. I have a crack in my exhaust manifold could this make the 02 sensor not read correctly and cause the jeep to run rich

YES!

Okee....is there a big gap or does it look like a "hair"?

If you don't want to replace it right now.....

Permatex makes a exhaust manifold patching compound.

I haven't used that, but I have used Thermosteel.

I've got a good result with using Thermosteel. Is also for exhaust manifolds, kilns, etc....

So you could try that first and see if your mileage goes up. Make sure you prep well before applying the patch and let it cure properly as well as follow the directions :rof:

I have noticed on my gray canister or emissions canister that the line going to the gas tank has been unplugged and ran a screw in the canister blocking it off. Would this have anything to do with gas mileage?

1993 Red XJ said:
I have noticed on my gray canister or emissions canister that the line going to the gas tank has been unplugged and ran a screw in the canister blocking it off. Would this have anything to do with gas mileage?

Not to my knowledge, but it can have other effects. I would suggest reattaching it.

It reattached the line from the gas tank and the fuel pump sounds louder than it was before. Maybe its just me but it sounds like maybe the fuel pump is running more efficient.

Back