• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELLA 500 question...Installing and switch box

Motorvated

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my forst XJ :) Previously had a TJ. Anyway, i have some spare HELLA500 driving lights and wanted to put them in the center of the bumper. What would be the best way to mount them there? Also, I plan on running some lights on a Safari basket soon. I wanted to find some sort of clean looking switch box, that I oculd hook a bunch of lights upto. Do you guys know of anythnig that looks CLEAN? I found a few while searching, but nothing I really liked. Thanks a lot!

Well you rnot going to be running the lights to the switch, you'll be using the switch to run relays which have the power running thru them to the lights. That way you don't burn out a switch which can't handle the power needed to run the lights.
Look for a wiring diagram for off road lights. Than all you need is to find switches you like and run them to the relays. You have lots to choose from in switches, from plain black buttons, to flip switches, ones with small lights to let you know they are on, look around online, or radio shack to find what your looking for.
Not a difficult job, once you have one harness made you just make however many you need to supply the proper amount of power to each set of lights.

Maybe Painless Wiring???

As far as mounting location is concerned...

I parallel park almost daily, so I've been toying with the idea of cutting circular holes in the plastic grill so that I can mount my KC Slimlites without protruding past stock the front bumper.

I think this would also be beneficial if a tree is tapped so your lights aren't wrecked... plus it would look pretty sweet having flush-mounted driving lights.

Just my two

Try this web site his work is art not electrical.
www.12voltguy.com
Just send him your dementions and how many switches and he will build a panel which works and looks like it belongs where it is. His work is pure art IMHO.

FitchVA said:
i'm kinda partial to that one as well ;)

I really like your setup if you don't have a console but if you want to convert the garage door opener or the sunglasses spots of a factory console to a switch panel then the 12voltguy is the way to go. Does not look like it was a factory option like your do FitchVA but still looks super nice if using the locations mentioned or the dash of a Wrangler/CJ or similar vehicle.

beakie said:
check this out, nicest panel I have seen, not sure if you can get the switches alone, but its a nice setup up either way.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrical/spod/spod-1.htm
I REALLY like the relay box(I think it is called the source)! Their stuff is a little expensive, but it looks like it would make the wiring so much easier.
spod-24.jpg

Last edited:
Back