• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ won't start.

bmanga

NAXJA Forum User
Drove it to work and back home. Went back out in 15 minutes started it up and put it into reverse and it died on me. Below is what I've done but I'm new to the 4.0's so any thoughts and input would be appreciated. This thing is fully stock sport model if that matters.

1. Relay for fuel pump clicks.
2. Fuel pump turns on for a few seconds after turning the key on.
3. No blown fuses under the hood.
4. Put obxII reader on and it showed no codes present.
5. Added some fuel down into the throttle body and it started then stalled.

Again, any thoughts would be helpful.

Crank shaft position sensor. On the top part of the transmission bell housing. If it is an Automatic??? Maybe just a guess

I would say check your fuel filters and pull all the injectors and let them soak in some injector cleaner or sea foam. Then do a pressure check on your fuel rail.

Thanks! :worship: It is an automatic. I just got it and don't even have a repair manual for it yet. My other Jeep is a Grand Wagoneer with a 360 so a totally different animal. LOL!

sounds like a fuel problem i agree with cleaning the fuel rail and checking that out, it you dont have good pressure there go to the filter and sending unit

OK so I'll post up what I found out. I went back out and pushed the pedal down a bit and it started and reved but when I let off it stalled. I was thinking TPS so I went to Pepboys and got a manual and looked up other possibilities. Bought a TPS while I was there and just installed it. All is well now!

I appreciate all the input folks!

:peace:eek:ut!

Back