• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front or rear?

Normally I'd say the rear..

But for the love of god do not lock the d35 ;(

Put the locker up front and start looking for a better rear end.

Yes, its a huge difference.

Lockers mean broken shafts, though. Make sure you have the strength to support it before you install it.

Tell us more about your jeep, what year?

Where do you wheel? How? What terrain?

Yes, it only takes going off-road once to break a shaft.

You probably still want to get newer axle shafts (97+ xj or tj) that have bigger u-joints. When the 260 joints that you have break, it does this:

interferance.jpg

carnage1.jpg

balljoint-seperation.jpg

Finding yourself on the trail with a broken axle sucks. Finding yourself on the trail with a broken balljoint *really really* sucks.

Front first....rear last....sounds whacky, but you can climb an obstacle with a front locker if you have to...with a rear only it wont make it....get a 8.8 to go with the rear locker when you get around to the upgrade...

im really not woried about breaking a shaft, trails round here you can almost go through in 2wd i just want a locker to have one i really dont want to get into a big project with shafts

its not a big project - you have to remove your current shafts in order to install the locker either way.

I've gotten several sets of 760 shafts for free from local naxja guys, and bought a few online for about $75 for a full setup.

totalvideo2 said:
all in all im poor i only have a couple hundred to my name and im tring to get a cheap locker upgrade

Thats kind of the point we are making though, is its not cheap. ;) You have to factor not only the cost of the device itself, but the cost of making your driveline strong enough to support it. 19 year old spicer 5x260 joints aren't going to like the added abuse a front locker will put in. New 5x260 joints aren't going to take it much better.

totalvideo2 said:
so new shafts and a lockrite up front will make me a true offroader? lol i just want to get outta the stock 4wd and have somethin a little more tough

it sounds like your already a true offroader.

We're trying to make you not be "that guy" that someone has to spend the whole day helping get off the trail ;)

just wondering why the ball joints will break when the shaft breaks? is this rare or quite common? ive never broken a front shaft before but i always carry spares with me even with 33's open.
thanks
-Shomsky

Shomsky462 said:
just wondering why the ball joints will break when the shaft breaks? is this rare or quite common? ive never broken a front shaft before but i always carry spares with me even with 33's open.
thanks
-Shomsky

We're talking more about u-joint failure. If you have momentum or wheelspin going and the ujoint (or shaft ear) breaks, the driven side can spin around, contact the wheel side and force it "down" as they cant occupy the same space.

Go back and look at those three pictures in order again, pay particular attention to the first one.

Back