• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best option for Ignition system - plugs/wires etc

cbird01

NAXJA Forum User
I am reaching 120K on my 1998 XJ 4.0L. I changed the wires at 60K and plan on changing them again right now. I would usually just go to Autozone and just get Autolite or Bosch or something of the sort. Want suggestions on what is the best option for performace/fuel economy etc etc. I am planning on just changing plugs and wires, but I am open to hearing what else I can do on the ignition system as far as aftermarket products go. (back in my gearhead days I slapped an MSD ignition on my Chevelle)

So, whats the best plugs and wires?
And, anything else ignition wise I could change while I am at it?

Stock,stock stock.Standard Champion plugs,Factory wires,Try to find a cap with copper/brass terminals(I used NAPA).This is not a race motor in a race vehicle.The speeds we run STOCK is fine.
Wayne

I second the stock champion plugs. My rig runs better on them than any other plug I have tried (1987 4.0, 66,000 miles)

Ok, when you say factory wires...do you mean actually buy them at the dealer, cause Napa has the cap with copper brass terminals...but only Beldin wires.

I run the dealership wires. I get the entire kit, cap, rotor, and wires for like $40.

May I hijack your thread? Has anyone run those diamondfire E-3 plugs? Those puppies are expensive but I have read some articles about them that said they are quite good.

What are you looking to run them in? If platinum plugs, splitfires, the 'u' grooved ones etc all do less than stock in the 4.0, I'm pretty sure the newest gimmick (not saying that in a bad way) plug will be the same.

How much spark do you really need to ignite vapor in a tiny compressed space? ;)

I've run many different brands of plugs and wire sets. OEM works best so far. And there's no need to swap the stock coil either IMO.

cbird01 said:
Ok, when you say factory wires...do you mean actually buy them at the dealer, cause Napa has the cap with copper brass terminals...but only Beldin wires.

Factory has a set of HP wires that used to be cheaper priced that the stock set.Don,t know the current cost.
Wayne

I've been running the E-3's. My mileage has been less than exceptional, but maybe the throttle body being loose on the intake manifold might have had something to do with it. :) When I installed them, the beast did seem a little more rev happy, but never saw any mileage improvements.

I tend to agree with everyone that stock is best for the ignition parts. I've tried just about every fancy plug(might have to do iridium next) :), fancy wires, I have a MSD coil installed(it was free, why not), those capacitors that install on the plugs, and if there has been any changes, it has been lost in the noise of the measurement.

Fred

Wayne Sihler said:
Factory has a set of HP wires that used to be cheaper priced that the stock set.Don,t know the current cost.
Wayne

I run the dealership wires. I get the entire kit, cap, rotor, and wires for like $40.

Ok, what dealership do you go to? My wires alone were $42, Cap $19 and Rotor $17. What do you mean by factory HP wires? (different set but get them at the dealer?)

cbird01 said:
Ok, what dealership do you go to? My wires alone were $42, Cap $19 and Rotor $17. What do you mean by factory HP wires? (different set but get them at the dealer?)

The question would be what dealership do you go to? Ouch thats costly.

Call around. Prices from dealership to dealership vary like 400%.

cal said:
The question would be what dealership do you go to? Ouch thats costly.

Call around. Prices from dealership to dealership vary like 400%.

Yeah that is for sure. I am going to return the parts. Just found an online source at www.moparmaster.com and got the same parts for $57.44 + $10 shipping. I live in tucson, there are only 2 Jeep dealers and they are both expensive.

Fred said:
I tend to agree with everyone that stock is best for the ignition parts.
Fred

I think you only need better ignition parts if you are going to supercharge or nitrous your engine. You may get some significant improvement from a multiple spark ignition system such as a Jacobs or MSD.

Back