• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case shifter-linkage popping out

JGXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Stock '89 4.0 aw4 229K np231. My transfer case linkage keeps popping out of its pivot under the tunnel well. The shifter shaft pops out of the brass pivot cradled opposite the TC. This is happening during city driving! The pivot looks good, there is a little rattle as many experience, where is the movement coming from. Tran mount has 70k on it, engine mount(original)? Drivetrain doesn't sound loose. Should I just shim it and see what happens. Could the play be coming from inside TC?

Try putting a spring on the linkage side next to the tranny, so that it applies pressure against the linkage and the tranny bracket.

I had the same problem on my '90 last year. There are two bolts that go from the bottom of the crossmember mount and up into the tranny. Mine kept coming loose. I finally crawled under there and put them in with loctite and they haven't backed out since and I haven't popped the linkage since. Also, no more rattling.

hth,
Dave

Back