• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a couple of flat towing questions.

at the end of June or early July I will be moving the family back to Phoenix Az from Salt Lake City Utah. I will be flat towing the xj behind my Dodge Ram using a tow bar.

My issue is this: the D30 is equipped with an Aussie locker. i know that the locker only locks the wheels when torque is applied via the drive shafts. I also know that when the 231 tc is put in N, it locks both drive shafts together.

is it even remotely plausable for the locker to lock when the jeep is being flat towed in this situation? and if so what would the smartest move be- drop the front drive shaft?

i dont like breaking stuff on the jeep- especiallly not when its not even being driven!

TIA
stewie

I used to flat tow my Jeep and did a lot of research on this before I started and found a lot of different opinions. I used to remove my rear driveshaft due to the locker but I never had one in the front. Search this forum for towing and you should be able to find several good threads with more details.

Michael

I know alot of people that have flat towed there cherokees behind there motorhomes and have never had an issue. However, if it were me, I would put her on a trailer. Then there are no issues and it saves the miles that are not actually being driven.

Just my .02

Lata

stewie said:
. I also know that when the 231 tc is put in N, it locks both drive shafts together.
That only applies to the earlier years,not your 95!

stewie said:
at the end of June or early July I will be moving the family back to Phoenix Az from Salt Lake City Utah. I will be flat towing the xj behind my Dodge Ram using a tow bar.

My issue is this: the D30 is equipped with an Aussie locker. i know that the locker only locks the wheels when torque is applied via the drive shafts. I also know that when the 231 tc is put in N, it locks both drive shafts together.

is it even remotely plausable for the locker to lock when the jeep is being flat towed in this situation? and if so what would the smartest move be- drop the front drive shaft?

i dont like breaking stuff on the jeep- especiallly not when its not even being driven!

TIA
stewie

it takes as long to disconnect both driveshafts as you will spend asking this queston and reading the replies. probably less. it takes me about 12 minutes to disconnect and secure both shafts. i've done it a few times now so i would expect it to take you a little longer the first time. this eliminates the (unnecessary) worry of the lockers, and the very real worry of the tcase coming out of neutral while making the drive out there. just disco the shafts.

Back