• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing A/C Compressor on a 97....any advice?

trippe

NAXJA Forum User
Tomorrow I'm replacing my a/c compressor and accumulator on my 97. The original developed a severe leak and wound up spewing stop-leak all over my engine bay. Not cool. Anyway, does anyone have any advice on the replacement? Pitfalls, trouble spots, things like that? Just to give the rest of the story, I'm taking it to be discharged professionally since I live on a fairly busy street and have nosey neighbors and I'm going to take it back to the same place to have it vacuumed out. I'm going to recharge the system myself. So is there anything I need to be on the lookout for?

call around, because when I got my A/C discharged the shop did it for free. they charge people to recharge systems, so if they can get free fluid they shouldn't be charging you to empty it too. Ask around, I would think someplace will discharge yours for free, if not they should give you a good discount when you goto re-fill, if you don't do it yourself as you said.
can't help you on the compressor, but I would imagine any same year, or newer will fit in without problems.

a remaned unit for my 95 was something like 300+ at NAPA when i did mine last year. make sure you do not spill out any of the oil out of the old compressor because you will need it to measure how much to put in the new one. i spill mine and guestimated the amount. i ended up burning the cluth on the new compressor the first day it was recharged.

this time im gonna buy one from someone parting out thier jeep for considerably less and not spill the AC system oil.

I was wondering about the oil. I got my compressor at NAPA too, along with the accumulator, and the directions are really vague, and nonexistant with the accumulator. The r134 I bought to recharge the system has 4oz of oil in it, so do I need to add more oil on top of what's in the r134 cans? Should I have just gotten straight r134? I figured the compressor needed oil but do I need to add oil to the accumulator as well (that doesn't seem right to me but I thought I'd ask anyway)?

Back