• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O2 Sensor Question

apsdad

Cherokee Madness
96 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, NP231, 4.5 inch lift. I recently replaced my entire exhaust system including convertor, muffler, tailpipe and rear O2 sensor. It had been giving me a "Convertor Efficiency below threshold" OBDII code. The new exhaust system fixed that. BTW, the O2 sensor is a dealer part, not an aftermarket. The other parts were aftermarket, and the muffler is a Magnaflow (if that makes a difference). We spent yesterday doing some serious wheeling including rocks, sand, and mud. At the end of the day I had another Check Engine Light, and this time the code said that "O2 Sensor no. 2 Voltage High". What does that mean. Did the sensor fail? or could I have broken a wire or filled the connector with mud?

apsdad said:
96 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, NP231, 4.5 inch lift. I recently replaced my entire exhaust system including convertor, muffler, tailpipe and rear O2 sensor. It had been giving me a "Convertor Efficiency below threshold" OBDII code. The new exhaust system fixed that. BTW, the O2 sensor is a dealer part, not an aftermarket. The other parts were aftermarket, and the muffler is a Magnaflow (if that makes a difference). We spent yesterday doing some serious wheeling including rocks, sand, and mud. At the end of the day I had another Check Engine Light, and this time the code said that "O2 Sensor no. 2 Voltage High". What does that mean. Did the sensor fail? or could I have broken a wire or filled the connector with mud?

Sounds like the O2 sensor 12 volt heater wire is shorting to the O2 signal output wire. You need to get under there and clean it out and see if it is just wet, conductive mud in the connectors or physical damage to the wires, or both.

Thanks. I was able to reset it today, so the mud must have dried and stopped conducting. Tomorrow, I plan on getting under there and cleaning out the connector with contact cleaner and giving it a good dose of dielectric grease to keep water and mud out.

Back