• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front waggy d44

KSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I got a d44 and plan on putting in the front of my jeep. And I have few questions

1. - what gears are in it. The numbers insided are 1284 dana d 18425 p9269 43 13 862 and not sure what any of them mean.

2. - how do I convert it to a manual hub and what parts do I need to do it.

3. - how do I match type of wheels to my rear or my rear to match the front. I have a XJ d44 in the rear.

4. - Need a good right up on what parts go where on putting it back together. It has already been taken apart. And so I don't know how to put it back together.

Thanks ahead of time, and yes I have searched, but really havn't found what I am looking for.

They come with 3.07s or 3.31s.

It's 43/13, (2nd last numbers) = 3.31.

Manual hubs - go buy a set of warn hubs for them. Pop off caps, use snap ring pliers to remove snap ring, pull drive flange, pull spring, put hubs in according to instructions.

The easiest way to match it to the rear axle... I don't know, but if the flange on the XJ D44 is large enough - redrill it to the 6x5.5 pattern. If it isn't - personally I'd swap in the matching rear waggy axle. They needs some 1" spacers though.

And for putting it together.... Get a Jeep FSM. 1989 would be a good year. It covers the waggy D44 front, along with the XJ/SJ D44 rear, HPD30, D35, and most of the engines/trans/cases. It might cost a bit but it'll save money in the long run - if you can find one. Or follow the simple 'well, it fits like this' trial and error method of putting the axle back together... Okay, maybe not.

k, I got 3 front axles when I bought them. 2 were pass drop and one drivers drop. If I understand correctly, the gears in one of the others would be 6.13??? The numbers are hard to read, but mayb it is the same as the others, but thought I would ask if there are such gears.

I don't think so. The older passenger drop ones may well have lower gears avaliable, but 6.13 is not a ratio I've heard of.

Pop the cover off and look on the ring gear. Stamped on the side will be the two numbers. Failing that, count the number of teeth on the ring gear and pinion.

that would work if it wasn't already taken apart to almost a bare housing. Thanks though. Keep thinking, still would like to find out what gear it is.

There should be numbers stamped into the side of the ring gear. These will be the number of teeth on each gear (if you can't find the #s, just count the teeth). Just divide the high number (ring gear) by the low number (pinion) and you have the ratio.

Back