• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So I'm trying to design a different sort of car stereo...

My XJ currently has no stereo, since I cut the door speaker wires when I first went doorless, and the radio fuse blows everytime I hit a bump. One of the upgrades I'd like to make this winter is a new stereo system. I'd like to use marine speakers, since my XJ gets pretty wet on the inside. Here's the caveat that makes my dilemma: I still want to use this stereo set up not only when I'm doorless, but in a year or so when I chop the top. That means no speakers in the doors (2 door) and no speakers in the hatch. I'd prefer not to use those 'kick panel' enclosures either, since that part of my XJ has been submerged several times before and probably will be again. Would it be bad to have all my speakers pointing side-to-side? I'm completely ignorant when it comes to car audio, so I'd appreciate some input from more knowledgeable people.

you'll need a cage when you chop it, so cage it now (if you haven't already, and build speaker mounts into that:

106.jpg

BrettM said:
you'll need a cage when you chop it, so cage it now (if you haven't already, and build speaker mounts into that:
I'd love to cage it now, but I'm a poor college student and my one friend with a welder moved away. If I already had a cage in it, it'd be chopped already. :viking: That is a good idea though. (Reminds me of a YJ I saw a few weeks ago at the local motocross track with home-theater-style speaker boxes (big ~12" cubes) hose-clamped to his cage).

I'd prefer to just do the stereo once, and not have to worry about it again. But then again, I suppose I could set it up so it's easy to install additional speakers...

BrettM said:
you can also get all sorts of nice speakers designed to mount on the tubes of wakeboard towers
I would really look into the boat mount ones for once you have a cage. As well as being made to handle water, they're also made to take a beating from the boats slamming around in rough water and boards hitting them.

If you're just looking for some good speakers for now, you should look at Polk Audio's stuff. They're speakers are some of the best sounding out there IMHO, but they're also all marine rated. You can get everything from tweeters to subs, so you don't have to sacrifice any sound quality.

I am going to throw some 3.5" or 4" speakers in my dash where the factory tweeters were. I plan to keep the speakers in my front doors also. I have wired harnesses in my doors, so I can remove them, then just plug them up when I put the doors on.
I had been thinking of putting more in to get better sound, but realized while I'm wheeling, the volume is down so I can hear what's going on around me.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
I am going to throw some 3.5" or 4" speakers in my dash where the factory tweeters were.

BTW, this is only on 96 and earlier models.

my initial thoughts (without research) would be to move the speakers to the B pillar. it is pretty wide and looks to have enough room for a 6x9 sitting tall-ways in there. only problem- it might not be deep enough for the magnet...

-Tim

if you are good with fiberglass or know someone who is make some small pods for marine speakers down by your feet firing up a little. Q-logic used to make stuff similar to that back in the day. A little pricey but here is a link to what I'm talkin about http://www.cardomain.com/item/QLCQLK3002B01

Last edited:
I lost my door speakers and blew my liftgate speakers. what i did was buy the cheap 6.5" "subwoofer" setup from walmart for 20 bucks and screwed it to the platform i mad in the back ( has a 12" woofer and amp under it). the next mod is to take the speaker enclosure that goes in 95 -95 year cherokees in the back across the roof and mount it right behind the front seats(on the roof of course). Should be pretty nice, and I am short so it should not bother my head at all. When the roof comes off ill figure something else out. BTW, nice does not necessarly mean expensive. I have all my equipment matched up from walmart since they sell last years sony models, and it sounds great, i get complemented all the time. Including both the boxes, the sony amp and 12, and the 4 sony speakes i have less than 300 set into it.

I am also a college student, so cheep is a definate word in my vocabulary

Other speakers? nuh uh.
Sound quality with the top on or off doesn't make a flip.
I dont have any body, windows, or carpet, you only hear what comes out of the speakers, which is mids from the 5.25s and highs from the factory tweets behind the grilles.
Basically, no accoustics.
It's a lot like listening to a ghetto blaster.

HTH

Back