• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 no start

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 4.0 5 speed.

I took off the cap rotor and wires to put on another jeep that I am trying to get going. Instead of putting the old stuff back on I bought new wires cap and rotor. I pulled the plugs to inspect them they were a orange color and had some crusties on them so I cleaned them up and re enstalled. Engine cranks but will not start. Put all the old stuff back on to the way it was and it still wont start. Pulled the plugs after trying to start it and the plugs were fouled with black carbon build up.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong? what to look for?

So, lemme get this straight. You put new cap, rotor & plugs on the 91? And just like it was? Firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4 (clockwise) starting at 1 (on the cap)?

Did you disconnect the coil wire and re-connect (or not)"just like it was"? Was everything running before? If so, you must have missed something

Go back and check your work, somethings up with your connections.

CPS
ignition module
lack of cussing/hand jestures

it ran fine and everything is as it was. I refered to the book to verifiy the wires are on right.

ZacSquatch said:
CPS
ignition module
lack of cussing/hand jestures

shouldn't have fuel (carbon) if the CPS was to blame-- no signal=no injector

I would double check rotor and coil wire-- assuming firing order is correct.

--Shorty

homebrew said:
it ran fine and everything is as it was. I refered to the book to verifiy the wires are on right.

When I changed my cap, I based it off the screw position. Turns out it was on a different angle and mine wouldn't fire up. Try moving each plug one length over and see if it works!

There is only one way to put the cap on, there is only one way to put the rotor in, there is only one way to put the wires on. Anything else will produce a no start situation. Screw the book. 1-5-3-6-2-4 CLOCKWISE from #1.

ParadiseXJ said:
There is only one way to put the cap on, there is only one way to put the rotor in, there is only one way to put the wires on. Anything else will produce a no start situation. Screw the book. 1-5-3-6-2-4 CLOCKWISE from #1.
agree completely-- assumeing your cap has #1 marked
double/triple check everything you touched-- it's ther somewhere
--Shorty

Hehe, time to learn how to do base timing. Take the cap off, pop the #1 plug out, and hold your finger over the hole while someone bumps the engine over. When it's on the compression stroke, it will blow your finger off the hole. Now, that you know you're on the compression stroke, and not exhaust, bump it so the timing mark is on TDC. Now look where the rotor is pointing. Is it close to the #1 terminal on the cap? If not, you're probably off a terminal.

Good luck. And what they said, 153624.

Mark

Back