• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end Shaking

jcjeeper89

NAXJA Forum User
1997 XJ, 4.0 5spd

I am getting minor death shakes while in 5th, about 65-70 mph on the expressway. Happens when I am going over a stretch small bumps. What could be the issue?

Balance wheels, shocks? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have had two incidents with death wobble on 2 seperate jeeps and both time it was Ball joints... experience on this forum usually seems to be track bar issues and/or balance of tires. Mine has been Ball joints both times...just my experience

I have the same thing happening. I swapped wheels and tires, r driveshaft U-joints, and ball joints. I also upgraded to a heavy duty track bar and frame bracket. It still did it, and actually broke the adjustable part of the track bar today when it was death wobbling. I called Rusty's and asked what to do because that's where I bought all my parts. They said to check the upper control arm bushings. They wear out faster than the lowers because they are: 1) smaller than the lowers, 2) exposed to more heat being closer to the oil pan, exhaust, etc. Their experience was they are usually the problem with Death Wobble on higher mileage XJ's. Mine is a 98 with about 125k. Hope this helps and you can learn from what has already happened to me !

Update: Mine turned out ot be both upper and lower control arm bushings. Cheap parts, but a pain to put in.

Back