• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I am an Idiot PLEASE HELP!!! (IN the middle of a tune up)

Nipeater

NAXJA Forum User
I changed the distributo cap and wires and I think I missed something. Because the car runs like the timing is not right but I know I set up the wires correctly or at least so i think.

Do I need to adjust to rotor?
Which Plug goes to which cylinder?

Thanks Again
Casey

You'll want to mention the year and engine to get the right answer from someone.
This is one good reminder to replace each plug, one at a time in the future. One comes off, new one on, and so on.
Can't help you with rotor positioning, but it does have a specific position to be in, and it sounds like it isn't there for you.
someone should chime in with the right advice, but if not I would think a mechanic could straighten it out for you rather quickly, and cheaply if you have some cash in your pocket.

STEP AWAY FROM THE ENGINE, put the wrench down for loosening the distributor and LEAVE IT ALONE. Make sure the cap is on straight and the rotor is also on straight. Next step is to check the wires and make sure the correct plug goes to the correct nipple on the cap. I gotta figure Chiltons should be able to get that drawing right.. make sure the plugs in the spark plug wires are seated and snapped onto the plugs.

There should be a big "1" on your distributor cap. That wire goes to your first cylinder. The next wire goes to #5.

Firng order is 1-5-3-6-2-4 (clockwise) ON THE CAP. The numbers are the cylinders (spark plugs).

AS in:
#1 first spark plug
#5 fifth spark plug
#3 third spark plug
#6 sixth spark plug
#2 second spark plug
#4 fourth spark plug

The rotor should click in to postion as there is a "just right" spot. Hey, my wife is calling me, there's a "just right" spot fot that too!! Gotta go.

Clockwise...on the cap.

Last edited:
Back