• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing fenders with slickrockgear

Kristof2

NAXJA Forum User
I have been thinking of building some type of tube fenders for my 2000 XJ for a while now. I am from Massachusetts so I definately need some type of flare to cover the tire also. I saw the cool looking fender protectors at http://www.slickrockgear.com/Products.html I really like them because they incorporate the flare as well.

What I am wondering is if it would work to cut the front fender that is there and weld in these in place of what is there? I am thinking of doing this for the front and back. I know I would probably have to brace them a bit, maybe tie them into the bumpers some how.

Kris

Are you trying to cover up or cut out rusted areas? If rust is not a problem I would suggest installing them how they were made. They are made from 3/16 plate, welding them to the thin sheet metal of an XJ will be very difficult, but could be done I guess. The sheet metal behind them really doesn't need to be there except were the top bolts go. If you need a place to put extra brackets or mounts you can send me an e-mail detailing how you want them, I may be able to incorperate the changes into the panel for you. [email protected]

Russ

I don't have any rust, I was just thinking of cutting the stock fender out, welding something across that ties into the bumper and maybe the rocker. then having the the slickrock fender below that. The thing I am worried about is sand and dirt getting in between the two panels and causing rust.

Kris

Easy way to keep that from happening is the same way the guys prep the Thor guards. Clean the paint really good and same with the back of the panel. Then get some silicone and go all the way around it and the bolt holes. Do all your drilling first then put that on and bolt it up. Nothing will get in there after that.

Back