• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering upgrades.... suggestions

XJ9888

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, i was off road and bent the crap out of my tie rod, and i didnt realize it until the outside of my drivers side tire was almost bald :eek: !! I need to upgrade my tie rod and wanted to know my options. I have looked at the RE chromoly rod, rustys, and JCR but they dont have any in stock right now. I was also looking at their 1-ton upgrade which i would really like to do but i dont have the money to do it right now. Keeping in mind that price is a factor, what do you guys recomend? Any other companies that make a quality product?

someone will chime in on this cuz i know im not 100% right but i think a zj tie rod and draglink or late 90's. i guess they are way stronger and bolt right up. good junk yard part. like i said im not 100% accurate so someone will correct the points i just missed

Yeah i have heard and considered the ZJ rod. I know that it is stronger but im not sure if it can hold up to trail abuse. I would rather go with an aftermarket rod that can take a beating.

I have been looking at a new tie-rod also and my mechanic(35 yrs working on jeeps) who installs a lot of RE parts actually recommended the Curry HD set up vs the RE one

Yeah cost is what the killer is there. Im thinking i might just suck it up and buy a currie setup though. In the end its going to be worth it.

The V8 ZJ in MUCH stronger than the stock tie rod as the stock rod is smaller in diameter and only about 1/8 wall thickness tube verses the larger diameter ( 20% larger from memory ) ZJ one and SOLID cast steel.
Better still would be to do a OTK and get them further out of harms way and get less body roll, less steering effort and longer tie rod end life as well.

I bought a used Toys by Troy Alumiflex tie rod and have been pretty happy with it. Last time I went wheeling I was the only to come out with a good tie-rod so it works :). Its just a tie rod replacement though, stock drag link still

I swear by toys by troy alumi flex tie rod. i run it on all my jeeps, and everybody that has seen me use it in the rocks can't believe what they see. the bottom of my tie rod looks like somebody went to it with an air chisel, but it's always straight. i've had new guys on the trail start yelling "STOP STOP YOU BEND YOUR TIE ROD". so i'll just smile and back off, and they'll freak even more as it straightens itself out faster than you can see.

that alone pays for itself over and over. my other reason not to go with anybody else is that if the tie rod becomes indestructible, then something else is going to become the "weak link". which will probably be the tie rods, or even worse. with the alumi flex tie rod, the tie rod is the weak link. because if you hit it, it'll flex and keep the stress off of everything, and then retun to straight. i know 2 people who bought the alumi flex tie rod the second they got home from the wheeling trip after seeing mine get wraped around the rocks and still come out straight.

You guys should watch Troy pick up one of his jeeps with a floor jack under the tie rod. Depending on the weight, the link will flex up like 6", then come back down with no set.

I have both the JCR, and Currie.
The Currie is way more beef. Its a few more bucks, but worth it. IMO.

bfred said:
Just don't make it too strong...tie rod is easier to replace than the spindles

spindles?

Find me a spindle on an xj, minus of course 84-88 2wd's..

Knuckles rarely break (it happens, but it is very rare).

Beef the steering.

I've looked at a *lot* of steering options.

Prices vs function vs beef, put in a v8 zj tie rod 'for now' and immediatly start saving for JCR.

All steering bends, but JCR's is as strong as any, but unlike the currie setup, you can walk into *any* parts house anywhere and get new tie rod ends when you need to - to get home.

Back