• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil spring question- spacers?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, what will happen to my coil springs (explorer pro comp 3 inch) if I install 2 x 1.75 inch coil spacers? I have an adjustable trac bar, and adjustable upper and lower control arms. Not such a good idea?? Right now I'm running a 1 .75 inch spacer, or better to buck up and buy new front coils??

Not to hijack, how is an ACOS setup, maxed out, safer than using multiple ploy spacers? I would NEVER use more than one poly spacer, but considered getting an ACOS....

ah, the good ole "Not to Hijack", that lets you know that it's coming, like the "I'm not a racest, but" and the old "not to disrespect"

stacking those spacers leaves to much shifting points. if you could think of a way to fuse the two together safe like and all, or sell the ones you have to someone on here, and put that towards the new ones.

Well, it was sorta related to the subject....lol...

Thanks!

I wouldn't do it! Maybe if it was on the rear. Thats like dbl blocking front leafs.

OK, I'm bringing up an old thread at risk of getting torched by the old thread brownshirts (its either them or the do-a-search gang). But there was mention in this thread about using more than one poly spacer being a bad idea. I stacked coil spring isolators to even things out when I lifted my XJ, was that an equally bad idea?

Another related issue I wonder about is whether or not the use of spacers tends to compress coil springs more than they would compress without spacers. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Rod Knee said:
OK, I'm bringing up an old thread at risk of getting torched by the old thread brownshirts (its either them or the do-a-search gang). But there was mention in this thread about using more than one poly spacer being a bad idea. I stacked coil spring isolators to even things out when I lifted my XJ, was that an equally bad idea?

Another related issue I wonder about is whether or not the use of spacers tends to compress coil springs more than they would compress without spacers. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

as for the compression, it will compress the springs more depending if you bumpstopped to make up for the spacer and the increased uptravel.

as for the coil insolators, it is not a problem to double them up because of the short height of the insolator. although there is another "shift point", it is less likely to shift because the short height of the insolator applies less leverage to that shift point.

89xj said:
as for the compression, it will compress the springs more depending if you bumpstopped to make up for the spacer and the increased uptravel.

I did nothing to alter my bumpstops since it was only a 2 inch lift and the OME shocks I installed were sufficiently short to just use the stock bumpstop configuration. So does that mean I should or should not have expected the extra spring compression that I, in fact, experienced? Note that I am talking about static height, not maximum compression.

compression has to to with uptravel. since you increased uptravel, the spring will compress more unless something stops it from compressing, whether it be your bumpstops or the shocks.

what effects/problems are you having because the spring is compressing more? is it making for a stiffer ride? how do you know its compressing more?

i really dont see an issue. what is your concern?

I bought ZJ coils for the front which netted me virtually no lift, so I added stacked isolators to acheive a 2 inch lift. After four months, they have settled/sagged to just over an inch of lift. I am talking about static resting height. I am exploring options as how to rectify the situation including putting my old OE springs back in, which wuold dbe a bad idea if the spacers are causing the sag.

i have 3" coils and, IIRC, a 1.75" or 2" poly spacer and no insolator. i got exactly 4.5" lift and it hasnt sagged one bit after a year.

do you have any extra weight on the front end? where the springs used? bad set of springs? i cant see the spacer being the problem.

They were new springs, Crown auto bought over the internet. Supposedly front ZJ springs. I have wondered if I was sent the wrong springs but they fit perfectly. Based on what I am hearing one option would be to just put my old springs back on (with spacers). Kinda retarded to run with springs of a lower rate than stock. I do have heavy aftermarket bumper but it didn't cause my OE springs to sag.

Rod Knee said:
They were new springs, Crown auto bought over the internet. Supposedly front ZJ springs. I have wondered if I was sent the wrong springs but they fit perfectly. Based on what I am hearing one option would be to just put my old springs back on (with spacers). Kinda retarded to run with springs of a lower rate than stock. I do have heavy aftermarket bumper but it didn't cause my OE springs to sag.

does it matter if they were zj springs from a I6 or a V8?

the bumper would have something to do with the sagging.

why not use a bigger poly spacer with the zj coils? i would find out if there is a different spring rate between I6 and v8 springs from a zj.

1. The stock isolator locates the upper portion of the spring by its fit around the bump stop.
2. Stack as many spacers as you want, it will not add force to the spring.
3. Not adjusting the bump stop will cause the spring to compress more because nothing will stop it. The result will be "collapsed" springs. Doesn't really matter what the load rating is if it's minimum compression length is reduced.
4. All the load on a spring is axial, more or less. If the stock isolator is used and it fits really well to the bump stop shaft, your spacers will not "shift" as long as there is a load on them (axial). If you are expecting the weight of the vehicle to hold everything in place, shame on you when your wheel is fully unloaded and moves the axel far enough that the spring slips off the bump stop you didn't lengthen (or you used hockey pucks on the bottom end). That is what limiting straps are for.
5. If you are concerned about the added "slip" joints, glue them together.
6. If you did everything right and still get sag, bad springs or the wrong ones. How much did you say the bumper weighed? Does it have a winch on it? If so, was it a nice soft ride with the ZJ springs? If it was, then the springs were overloaded to begin with.

thanks for bringing back the thread, it answered a question i had in the back of my head.... but wasnt urgent enough to search for

Is there any benifit to gluing the isolator to the spacers? I have some Teraflex 1.5" spacers to go on top of some new Crown HD springs I also scored off eBay, but I also have 2 extra isolators I was going to slap in there. I had planned on just a budget boost, but I think I'll have more lift in the rear due to an add-a-leaf.

Back