• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Axle/Differentials

Missiletech

NAXJA Forum User
So quick story. I let my brother live with me 'cause everyone kicked him out... he's 23, probably not the best idea but I love him. He's trying to get in the Marine Corp and he's been waiting on waivers for 6+ months. So back to my post, in the time he's been house sitting for me he was allowed to use the jeep I'd been working on to get around if NEED be. Then I find out out this happened...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDRU0Wo2avg

This being one of various videos, I will add some pictures soon. Needless to say my freakin' front and rear diff's are bent and front axle broke. Even my bump stop plates on the rear leaf springs bent... let alone what else I haven't found because I'm in the middle of remodeling the house.
I'm trying to decide what to do as my funds are temporarily limited while remodeling and I'd love some good advice if anyone is willing. I also live in Bremerton, Wa so if anyone knows good places near here to find some junk I could use from a yard that'd be great also.

I hope if nothing else some of you get a good "WTF!" outta this and a chuckle. I kicked the idiot out so now it's fix it time. Thanks a ton.

That's awful!

It's awful when folks take advantage of good will like that. Your brother sounds like he's quite busy burning any bridge he can... It'll come back to haunt him one day.

As for the Jeep, you might just be better off finding a scrapper XJ with a good driveline and swap that in. Chances are good that your shafts and even t-case have taken some hits that'll shorten their lifespan. On the plus side you can pick and choose... Maybe a 1997 and up (rollover, rear-ended, etc...) for the strong 8.25 and 297 u-jointed front HP D30? Or look for the elusive 1987 (rust-bucket most likely) that some fellow who has no idea what a Dana 44 is, let alone how much folks want them, is selling.

At any rate, I hope you get your project back on it's feet; or, more likely back on new feet.

:)

Wow what a tard. Hey man I live in Woodinville WA. There are a ton of junkyards around here. I just went to the pull-a-part in Lynnwood the other day and right now they have 4x88's 3x89's and 1 92 I think. The 92 has a 8.25 rear end under it if you need 1. Thats a hella good rear axle. All the others have front dana 30s and most are complete. Go there man you pull everything yourself and it is soooo cheap. Good luck. PM me if you need to. :puke:

Man, that sucks eggs. If that was my brother, I'd still kick his tail. Check Craigslist. There's always cheap Cherokees on there. There's a 91 on Boise Craigslist now for 900/OBO. I just picked up an 89 Comanche there for 150.
Good luck.

There HAS to be a stronger word than TARD Brother or not, he would be carryin' a asswoopin' if he did that to my junk.

YEEEEE HAAAWWWWW! He really launched that sucker! Glad that's your brother and Cherokee and not mine. I'll cry a little tear for you after I stop laughing.

Seriously though, sorry to see your stuff getting beat on by your little bro.

That was one of the sweetest things ever (since it wasn't my Jeep). Sorry about that... I really hope you gave your brother a nice beating. You should also make him pay for the damages. Sorry bud.

I'd kick anybody's ass for that, ESPECIALLY my brother. Sure you love the guy, but I'd make his ass pay for every penny of repair. Just because you can diagnose the diffs and axle shafts, I'm sure you've got broken or extremely damaged shocks, driveshafts and joints, and a pretty pissed off t-case, let alone anything else that might be fudged up. I'd start hitting up junkyards and sending him the bill.

WOW!!!
Holy Shit if that was my brother (and I love him too) I would have beat the ever living fuck out of him the second i saw that video.

I'm curious who Darwin's little buddy is with the video camera? What a dork....a 4000 pound rig aimed right at him......:hang:

beat him but kill him yet he needs to pay for the repairs, then shoot his thung wanna-be buddy. I dont think his sorry ass will last in the core he will be a drill sargents breakfest.

:hang:

Yea at the pace of my house remodel I'm probably gonna have to find a junker to swap parts with. Almost makes my 66 Impala less work to get back on the road. I really do appreciate the replies, 3 cheers for NAXJA members!

-SteVe

I think I would get a written estimate on the repairs, and make him pay! If he dosn't have the money, maybe he can work some of it off as slave labor on your remodeling projects. He obviously has no respect for other people's property, let alone someone who's trying to help him out. Letting him off the hook won't teach him a thing and he'll never learn to be responsible for his own actions. Hell, you could even threaten to call the cops. The idiot was stupid enough to tape the proof of the damage he did to your vehicle!(And sit there on tape and laugh about it!)

Last edited:
So anyone know of XJ specific clubs near Kitsap County Washington? I need to start networkin' if I'm ever gonna get this thing goin again. I'd appreciate it, thanks guys.

Back