• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33s or 35s?

outlawjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Ok after hours of searching and countless articles being read I am still up in the air on a few things. Now I dive a '97 2 dr 4.0Lw/ an AX-15, and will be installing a TNT Custom LA set at 6" w/ Alcan leafs and RE coils up front. I have 4:56 gears to install and a D44 w/ Crown Vic discs when I do the lift. I have DPG bumpstops for the rear and RE 3" bumstops (I think they are 3") for the front.

1st off is tire size. Now I know everyone is different and everyone has thier own opinions but here is my question. What size tire is better 33s or 35s? I mean 33s will flex better but 35s are taller and will get you over taller rocks. But which is better? Now I wheel mainly rocks on the East Coast so none of that big stuff on the West coast.

2nd I know one of you out there is running the same set up that I am what length shocks are you running? I am looking to run Bilstien 5150s but have not found to many posts where people are talking about the length they are running. I am looking at both the 10" and 12" travel shocks but don't know which would be best. And yes I know that the best way to figure it out is to put the lift on then mearure. I am just looking for a ballpark so I can get prices.

Any help or links to where I can find the info would be greatly appretiated.

Ray

Don't buy your shocks untill you get your tires on and bumpstops set. Then flex it to the max and measure for the shortest shock that will fit with a little room so it won't bottom out. This will give you the most droop when extended. As for tires, unless you wheel on extreamly good traction like Moab sand stone then larger tires prevail over flex in most places.

i have 10" travel bilstein 5150s

4.5" lift on 35s. at 6" you shouldnt be worried about loss of flex regardless of either of those tire sizes, besides, limiting uptravel doesnt limit downtravel, so in the end your flex doesnt really suffer anyway..

If you have to ask this question, go 33's, and when they wear out, you will know whether or not you want 35's.

At 35's you go through steering faster, balljoints faster, unit bearings, etc etc. How much lift is required to fit them is the *least* of your concerns.

Back