• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uneven break pad wear.

XJedi23

NAXJA Forum User
Is it normal for front break pads to wear unevenly from between right and left side of the vehicle? Just replaced my disk pads and the drivers side was almost gone compaired to the pasengers only about 50%. Seams odd to my unless the PO only changed one side?:dunno:

unless someone changed one side only ...which is unreasonable because all pads come in pairs...sound to me like you have a bad caliper. if it were me i would just change them both so you know they are good. when i bought mine a few weeks ago they were only 15 each. but i sounds like the driver side may not be pulling all the way back like its supposed to.

Try braking with your other foot. I know not funny but I couldn't resist.

i would see if the caliper slides are good if they are i would replace both brake hoses. if there callasped on the in side they wont let fluid back to the master cylinder causing presure on those brake pads causing uneven pad wear from the other side

most likely it's because nobody ever cleaned the sliders on the caliper. that's the number 1 cause for premature brake replacement at work. people just drive and never clean their brakes.
when the sliders start sticking, they won't allow even pressure to be applied to both sides, and you'll start burning up which ever side it's sticking on.

brakes should be taken apart a few times a year and completely cleaned. that way they'll last longer and work better.

if you can't move your sliders by hand, or they are insanely hard to move, it most likely already is to late. At that point just replace the calipers and replace the pads. make sure you lube the inside of the slider boots with high quality caliper grease before you insert the sliders. and whenever you clean your brakes, make sure you pull the sliders out of the boot and clean/re-grease them.

scorpio_vette said:
most likely it's because nobody ever cleaned the sliders on the caliper. that's the number 1 cause for premature brake replacement at work. people just drive and never clean their brakes.
when the sliders start sticking, they won't allow even pressure to be applied to both sides, and you'll start burning up which ever side it's sticking on.

brakes should be taken apart a few times a year and completely cleaned. that way they'll last longer and work better.

if you can't move your sliders by hand, or they are insanely hard to move, it most likely already is to late. At that point just replace the calipers and replace the pads. make sure you lube the inside of the slider boots with high quality caliper grease before you insert the sliders. and whenever you clean your brakes, make sure you pull the sliders out of the boot and clean/re-grease them.

high temp silicone caliper grease-- regular chassis grease will melt away in no time!!!
--Shorty

Back