• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5 lift with 33's

down_and_dirtyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi I installed a rough country 4.5 inch kit on my 98 XJ and I ordered a set of 33x10.50x15 Boggers and I wanted to find out if I'm gonna have to trim fenders to get max articulation out of the suspension. Anybody else running this set up out there. Also thinking of possibly adding spacers and maybe shackles to lift it up a bit more any suggestions on what to get for spacers/shackles. last question does anybody know of anybody who makes a spool for the 8.25 rear axle of my jeep i wanna lock it right up. Sorry that was second to last question anybody know of anybody who makes stronger axle shafts for the 8.25 in a 29 spline :cheers: Cheers and thanks fo any info

Hi! I'm running a semi-rough country 4.5" lift. I really like it so far, although i'm POSITIVE its not the BEST quality. But hey... we gotta start somewhere. Well I run 33x12.50 TSLs on rims w/ 4.5" of backspacing. I did have to cut almost all of the plastic crap around the rims. I RECOMMEND cutting around 1-2 inches from all of the fenders with a plasma cutter, circle cutting air tool, or equiv. for the best results. I did to mine, and we can flex it out up to 900 on the 20 degree ATI ramp. Take off your swapbars if you're not a rally-esque driver. If you live in washington, go down to pyllalup (can't spell) to get awesome Chromoly shafts! I suggest not going past 6.5", it seems that's around the perfect zone for an XJ. <3 much

I run on the low side of 4.5 inches and squeezed on 35x13.50 on 8" rims with 3 5/8 backspacing. I trimed to the max without having to weld up anything and beat in the front inner wheel wells. With bumpstop additions it fits and flexes better than I was hopeing for. Trim to the max and keep it low if you want to lessen the chance of rollover. Thanks to the folks here I'm happy with it!

Tear out the inner-fender!!!! =D. Maybe add a little metal flap to the uppers to protect engine compartment. Bobby Long makes awesome shafts. Sorry.. double post ><

I have 4.5" of lift on my jeep with 33x12.5's and I haven't trimmed anything off. they should fit just fine. I'm putting on a 2" spacer in front and a 1.75" shackle on the back just for some extra clearance if I need it.

I have the RC 4.5 lift with jks quick discos and 32's. At full flex they rub... well the rear tucks very nicely, but the front rims have a different backspacing so that at full turn they don't hit my lca's... So if you keep the regular "stick" rc sway bar connects you should be fine with 33's because your articulation wont be as great... but if you get the jks discos with it...
IMG_0643small.jpg

IMG_0644small.jpg
http://www.slovakdesign.com/jeep/IMG_0644small.jpg

Last edited:
I have RE 4.5 33.10.5 15 SSR's fenders trimed with bushwaker's the back tuck way up before rubbing on back fenderwell front rubs on back fenderwell at full flex good luck

I clear 35's on my 99 XJ with a 4.5" RE lift, lots of trimming and bumpstops. You should be ok on 33's at 4.5" with not too much trimming or none at all

Thanks for all the input guys so ummm if I trim can I still get the bushwackers to fit on allright I've put quite a few sets of them on just never on a cherokee(work at a FORD dealership) I also just took my swaybars right there pretty small anyways and I want max articulation Any pics of trimming so i can get an idea of how much to take ???? Thanks

I took about 2-2.5 inches off the front and 1.5 inches off the rear.

I used the top line of the stock flare as my guiding line to cut the front and this is how it looks

HPIM2379.jpg

and the rear i did the cut and bend method so i didn't cut past the pinch welds. It was simple and took a lot less time than the front.

HPIM2381.jpg

Yeah, there are pinch welds along the rear fender (you can see the small dimples after you remove the flare), you don't just want to cut like on the front fender because if you cut past the pinch welds its pretty bad for the fender. So instead, you take some sort of cutting device (i used a angle grinder with a cut off wheel) and make vertical cuts around the pinch welds to create a bunch of flaps hanging down and then you hammer them up.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90022&highlight=Fender+Trim

Go down and read steps 4-5. Great write up to do the trim and make it look great.

Back