• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 clutch concentric bearing to external slave?

White_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone converted the concentric bearing to the external slave style? my slave just died on me and i tried re-bleeding it as i have before when my fluid got too low, but now it is randomly locking up where it should or right off the floor. so im gonna do my clutch but i would prefer if at all possible to get the stupid slave cylinder outside the bellhousing, call me stupid for this one, but it seems to me that it would be a bad idea to have a fluid going into an area where you have a friction surface, and after searching around for a while, it seems that most xj clutches are replaced because the stupid slave goes out and you may as well do it while you have the tranny dropped. any advice would be appreciated
thanks, nick

would i need a full bellhousing?? from what ive seen in my repair manuals and such, the mounting looks the same as the boot that the lines go through right now. i was lookin for clutch parts for a 94 but i couldnt find a fork or clutch release bearing listed, is there some crazy mess inside the bellhousing that would give me just as much trouble as the junk i already have in there? i havent been able to find any kind of parts layout for inside the bellhousing for the later xj's, the chilton's isnt near as thorough as my factory service manual. im not too worried about connection to the master, i can handle lines, i just want to see if i would be able to do the swap without too much modification needed to the rest of the system.

im pretty sure... i know when i went from internal to external on my 91, i needed the BH, slave, bearing, input bearing retainer, and fork. It ended up with the one piece slave master combo

Find a donor and grab everything, bell housing on down. Quadratec sells the slave/master, we just put one in one of our yj's a couple of months ago..it came ready to go and even had fluid in it, 30 min job to replace the slave once it's external.

Like most have said here, you need to swap the bell housing and get all internal parts that link the throw out bearing. This means the "bearing guide" which is the sleeved assembly that slides over the input shaft and bolts to the front of the transmission.

The biggest challenge to this swap - for me anyway - was adapting the '99 TJ slave tubing to the '93 XJ tubing for the master cyl. Mopar doesn't make a line to directly swap in for this, but I don't know if a line for a '99 XJ along with a '99 clutch master cylinder would have made it easier.

I ended up mating the two plastic lines using brass ferule compression fittings - like what's used to connect the water line to a refrigerator. Still holding up after 4 years.

Back