• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbe has swap questions

Hugothegrunt

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the deal. I have a '95 sport all manual (power nothing) I came across a 2000 sport that has power everything that took a front end hit and is being parted out. i would like to swap in the front and rear seats and the newer doors with power. Like a good newbe I have searched for the info and found post to answer some of my questions then other post that contradicted the earlier post, so I am left with the same questions.:dunno:

When i swap the front seats, some say that a angle iron bracket is needed, any specific details on how to make this bracket?

Will the electrical connections for the seat already be in my 95 and are the connections compatible with the '00?

Are the rear seats swapable? Any modifacations need to be made to make them fit?

I found that the front doors should fit and that I can swap in the striker and add the other bolt to mount them and they should work, but I have found no info on the rear doors, will they fit? will the striker need to be replaced on them as well? Will the new striker need any modifacations?

I have found that most cherokees have the electrical connections for the front door already in the jeep, where are they? are the connections for the rear doors in my jeep as well? where?

Will the electrical connections for the power/heated mirrors already be in my XJ?

I know this is a long list of questions, I just want to make sure I have my bases covered before I drop a lot of coin on parts that won't match up. And of course i want to move on this oppertunity before the parts are gone. Thanks in advance for your help and input.:worship:

You know... this may be a LITTLE off topic, but: I wish I was in your position. I have a '99, and I really really really really really really really really really really really really don't like electronic stuff when it comes to modding my doors/etc.!!! I mean, it's nice to have electric things, but I want to eventually convert my doors to removable, and so far it looks like alot more trouble than its worth. I say just install a group of asians to fit between the door gaps that do the manual work for you. Cheaper, and more reliable.

The electrical system will be totally different between the two. When CryCo did their redesign in 97, they changed all of the wiring and connector types.

You will have to get schematics for both vehicles and figure it all out, and yours probably won't have the wires you need, so it would be a complete re-wire...kind of a PITA!

You would have to run wires for the mirrors and seats as well, I seriously doubt the wires you need are there.

Over all I agree with Tenament, I wish my doors were manual. Especially now that the window motors are SLOW, and the locks rarely work. If my doors weren't beat to $hit from rocks etc...(and you weren't on the other side of the country...lol) I'd trade you!

Power is nice but if its a wheeler when forget it. You will have to rewire. I have have a sort due to replacing doors. No fun. The back seat will work. As to the front seats there is a bracket to fit but not sure of what it looks like

So you're saying the seats are power correct? Doesn't matter what year. You just have to wire them yourself if there isn't a connection under your carpet. I did that to mine. I have all manual everything, found some power seats in the junk yard.

http://208.101.10.250/~naxjaor1/forum/showthread.php?t=911077

Thats my write up on the power seat swap. Isn't too hard to do. If you are going to wheel it and plan on going through deep water crossings and have the chance of getting water in your interior don't do it cuz it'll most likely cause a short.

But there are plent of threads about what years you can swap seats to and from. As for electrical...look behind your door panel skins and see what there is but will most likely need to rewire as the connectors and wires change throughout the years. So... check in your car and see what kinda connectors there and and check in the 2000 to see if they match.

Hey everyone thanks for your input, I called the guy with the '00 today and he sold the left side doors and all the seats this morning so it is a moot point now. I agree that nonpower is the way to go, every XJ i test drove when I bought my '95 had power everything and all of them had some problem with the power accessories (door locks did'nt work, windows did'nt work, seat did'nt move, ect....) i was happy when i found my '95 without all that. it's just that the window post between the main window and that wing window really P**S me off, its always in my view of the side mirror. This is the big reason I want 97+ doors and to get the bigger mirrors. All of the 97+ doors I have come across are all power. Is there any reason why I cant just put 97+ windows and seal into the '95 doors and pull out that post? Will the rail for the glass on the window mechanism hold/support the longer base of the larger glass? Can the 97+ mirrors mount to the '95 doors? I think this would be the best and cheapest option if it can be done.

Back