• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard starting

prerunner1982

NAXJA Forum User
Ok... so my XJ seems a bit hesitant to start. It starts more like its carb'd rather than FI.. The fuel pump is making noise and the owner says it done that for 3-4 yrs with no problems.. I dont know if the pump is causing the hard starting or not. Once its running the engine runs smooth. What do you think guys?
help.gif

Jon

IF yours is a 97+, I've heard that the check valve in the pump unit inside the tank can go bad.

You can probably check the pressure after it has been sitting a while to verify.

Some have added an external check valve from a BMW. There are write ups on the forum how to do this if you don't want to drop the tank.

prerunner1982 said:
Ok... so my XJ seems a bit hesitant to start. It starts more like its carb'd rather than FI.. The fuel pump is making noise and the owner says it done that for 3-4 yrs with no problems.. I dont know if the pump is causing the hard starting or not. Once its running the engine runs smooth. What do you think guys?
help.gif

Jon

What year/engine/tranny/tcase?
details do help.

if it is renix generation you have to remember that even when eerything is perfect they still won't fire till it reaches 300 rpm. takes a little bit longer to start, but ive got two well into the 200k mark and one getting close to 300k.

Last edited:
My 89 Limited runs the same way. I've got to crank on it for 5 sec, before it will catch. I've noticed that if I leave the key turned on for 5 sec. before cranking, it seems to start quicker.....

I left the key on until the Check Engine light went out and it did not make a difference. It only takes about 3 sec to start and that maybe the nature of the beast as this is my first XJ, but my 87 GMC pickup started quicker. My 82 Chevy pickup (carb) didnt take too much longer than the XJ to start. I may try replacing the fuel pump, atleast it will get rid of the noise if nothing else.

Jon

Back