• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 Cheorkee - Serpentine Belt Ajustment - help

boomer1

NAXJA Forum User
I search and now I'm even more confused. My son and I just picked up a 1988 Cherokee, Larado, 6 cyl. It appeared to have a leak at the power steering. Found a hole in the high pressure line and replaced it - still leaking. It now appears like it may be the pump itself. We are going to replace it this weekend, but in searching for how to loosen the belt and tighten it after we replace the power steering pump, I found two bits of information. One comment was that there is an adjustment on the alternator and the other comment is the adjustment is on the power steering mount itself.

I'm really confused, because in looking at another 1988, same engine, it looks like there is a long adjusting bold on the bottom of the power steering bracket, but when I look at ours, it's not there. The last owner said the engine was rebuilt, and it appears that all of the front mounting bolts for the power steering pump were not replace. I found 2 that are missing. When I look on the bottom of the pump, where we saw the adjustor on the other engine, theres a treaded stud, but the long adjusting bolt assembly is missing.

The belt has tension, so I'm confused on how they would have adjusted it without the assembly on the bottom of the pump. Any help would be appreicated, I'm just concerned that once we remove the pump, how do we tighten the belt back up, when we put it back together with the new pump. What am I missing here? Is there two ways to tighten the belt, do we need both?
Thanks

It's possible to pry the power steering pump over with a long bar and tighten the bolts to get tension. That may be where the leak came from, they pried on the wrong spot.
The normal spot for the Renix is under the pump, removing the air box makes adjustment a whole lot easier.
Should be easy to find a pump mount and adjuster at the junk yard. Most times when somebody snatches the pump, they leave the mount (or most of it anyways).

Step #1) Remove the air box.

Step #2) Remove the electrical fan.

Step #3) Using a 13mm wrench, loosen (do not remove) the two bolts on the back of the power steering pump bracket.

Step #4) Using a 13mm wrench or ratchet, loosen (do not remove) the bolt at the top/front of the power steering pump bracket (located at the 12 o'clock position).

Step #5) Using a 13mm wrench or ratchet, loosen (do not remove) the bolt found under the power steering pulley (at the 6 o'clock position). This one is a little hard to find.

Step #6) The long adjustment screw is located at the bottom of the power steering pump bracket. The top of the head of the screw faces the driver's side fender. Use this long screw to loosen/tighten the belt. It's also 13mm.

Thanks for the reply

I kind of figured that who ever rebuilt the engine, didn't put back all the parts. Looks like a trip to pull and save to pick up the rest of the parts for the mount.

I didn think about it at the time, but you're probably right, since they didn't have the adjustor bolt, they probably used a pry bar to pull back on the power steering unit itself, and that may well be why it is now leaking.

Thanks also for the detailed description for which bolts to loosen, it also confirmed that they left off the adjustor bolt on the bottom of the mount.
We just pulled an exhaust manifold at the junk yard, so now it's back to get all the correct mounting for the power steering pump.

Another quick question. As I said, we replaced the high pressure hose for the pump, but it also looks like someone replaced the return line with a piece of black hose and a couple of hose clamps. It doesn't look like the factory return hose. Would it be a good idea to replace that hose when we do the pump?

Thanks again for the quick response

The return line really doesn't have much pressure on it, but I keep a selection of oil, fuel and temperature resistant hoses around. If they used heater hose, it may deteriorate eventually from the oil.
I've gotten so I use fork lift hoses for just about everything. Just about indestructible and not all that expensive by the foot.
The Renix power steering hoses (I forget which) often rub on the top of the steering box. I bend them up for a little clearance, the later models have an extra looped band mount in this area.

Last edited:
Back