• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.07's to 3.73's....is it worth it??

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
Would changing my ring and pinions to 3.73's be a very noticeable change in acceleration? and would it hurt my fuel consumption dramatically?

Depends on tire size, how you drive, you will notice it will be snappier.

No go at least 4.11 or you will be doing it again. Ask me how I know.:doh: luckily I only had to re-gear 1 axle, the rear as the fronts were out of stock. 3.73 will be better, but like I said you will wish you went lower for the cost of doing so.

Rob $.02

Yes, I run 265 tires and 3.73 gears. It pulls like a train and around town and in the country you may see no difference in MPG. On the highway empty I don't know. In the country (45 MPH or so) You use 5th a lot more and it help your MPG more/sooner to. With 3.07s 5 gear did not really help until about 55 or so. So it was useless for me on country road (most of my driving) . With 3.73s 5 really works closer to 45 MPH. So MY over all MPG has changed very little.

I had the 8.25 with 3.07s and I went to 3.55s out of an auto jeep. (mine is a manual) my gas mileage didnt go down that much, maybe 1mpg. I have 235/75/15s, and there IS a noticeable improvement in acceleration in all gears. i just grabbed the entire axle out of the junkyard cause i didnt want to deal with the guts in back. definately worth $100.

A lot of this depends on what tranny and year you have, as well as tire size. If you have a pull-n-save salvage yard near you, it's pretty cheap to grab a set of axles from under a 4-cyl that would have 4.10/4.11 gears.

Back