• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

to much pressure

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 89 xj with a closed system. Every time I run the engine the pressure bottle fills all the way up and sprays out. the bottle is cracked because of the pressure. What would cause this, and what can I do to correct it?

TIA

If the bottle is cracked it's because it's in need of replacement (yes, it's under pressure, but it's supposed to be). The bottles are funky and don't seem to last long. Spend the extra money $35-45 at the dealer for a new bottle. I went through three bottles in three years because I bought the cheap imitation aftermarket bottle.

The cooling system needs to build and operate under pressure and if the bottle is cracked, the pressure, and your coolant take the path of least resistance. Replace the bottle and your coolant, burp the air out of the system and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
homebrew said:
I've got a 89 xj with a closed system. Every time I run the engine the pressure bottle fills all the way up and sprays out. the bottle is cracked because of the pressure. What would cause this, and what can I do to correct it?

TIA

Age (cracked due to age, not pressure)!

Their good for about 3 to 4 years. Their cheap, $26.99 which includes a new pressure cap, I just ordered me a spare, mine is currently about 2 years old now. I ordered one yesterday from:

www.4wd.com/cherokee
800-333-5535

Part number 4773849K

If you have trouble after replacing the bottle, then you need to check the fan clutch (it may be bad), the radiator may need cleaning, and check the hoses and hose connections for leaks. There is also a thermostat that go bad.

Back