• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C finally repaired

AfricaXJ6

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys;

My a/c was fixed a few weeks ago by replacing the compressor.After a few days the compressor clutch was continuously disengaging and even at times struggles to rotate.

I took it back to the workshop and they had it for 3 days.I collected it today and the a/c works fine now.I was told that the power going to the compressor clutch was inadequate.
The technician told me they connect a direct negative and positive lead from the battery and installed a relay to which the two wires was connected.The wire which should have been connected to the compressor clutch wa connected to the relay and the fourth wire from teh relay was connected to the compressor clutch.

although the a/c works fine; i wish to know if the technique used to complete the repairs is acceptable.Is it ok to have the relay installed with power from the battery.On the positive lead a fuse was connected.I guess for protection.

all suggestions will be appreciated.I have a1998 Cherokee; 4.0 litre auto.

regards
collin

Post some pix please.

I was wondering if maybe your solution may help me as well since whenever I switch on my AC the Battery Voltage takes a big drop.

Thoughts anyone?

Yep. That's how you do it. A fused line directly from the battery and use the old "supply" wires as the trigger.

This is also a common fix for dim headlights as well.

Saudade said:
Yep. That's how you do it. A fused line directly from the battery and use the old "supply" wires as the trigger.

This is also a common fix for dim headlights as well.
X2-

as long as the old wires for the AC clutch will supply about 9v, it will close the relay and all will function as expected. I personally would determine why you were not getting full power to the clutch coil and try to rectify that though.
Poor grounds and dirty circuits don't usually fix themselves, and you may be looking at the first warning sign of the next item to go south:repair:

--Shorty

Time to really really really clean your grounds....and use a super fine burnishing tool to clean EVERY connector you can get at. Here in the US a company called GC makes a GC100 burnishing tool, about the size of a matchbook striker only made from spring steel with abrasive faces on it, fits most all the flat connectors. Anything smaller go to a model type hobby shop and pick up a set of ultra small rat tail files.

Hi guys thanks a lot for teh suggestions:

hey Digitruck; i took some pics ; How do i post it here ?I see the posting rule says no attachments.

regards
collin

AfricaXJ6 said:
Hi guys thanks a lot for teh suggestions:

hey Digitruck; i took some pics ; How do i post it here ?I see the posting rule says no attachments.

regards
collin

Donno, I've never posted any. Anyone, please let us know how to post pix.

Thx.

You have to use a hosting service or if you have your own web site use that then post the links...

You know, my A/C clutch doesn't engauge long enough to really cool anything.

Same problem maybe?

Added freon/checked the pressure and we couldn't get an accurate reading because it kept kicking off too soon.

Before we added any it seemed to run too long, and was freezing the evaporator (according to the gauges it was dropping below 32'F)

I don't know, I may vacuum the system and add some fresh R134 to ensure there's no moisture or air in the lines.

Oh - ALSO, occasionally the H-Valve in my system would make a loud howling noise and at the same time, the clutch would disengauge. What's that all about?

Last edited:
sounds as though it's over charged-- runs 'til pressure builds and high side cut-out switch stops it from going any higher (howling valve sounds as though the higher pressure is bypassing the valve o-ring-- or the line needs additional clamps holding it securely to the chassis)

just a thought, though.
--Shorty

Back