• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Worth it?

XJSlater

NAXJA Forum User
Kinda new, well atleast un-knowledgeable. Picked up an 8.8 out of a '94 explorer, drum brakes, limited slip, i believe 3.08 gears? Opened up the diff, but didn't feel like counting. I got it for $50 and am curious to see if its worth my time to swap (keep in mind gearing will have to be changed) or better off to stick with my 8.25? How much would I gain from the 8.8?

I know this isn't in Modified Tech, but i'd rather know how Jeeps wheeling NW like to roll :D

31 spline.

It's a good rear end. I'd run it. The swap is easy. New spring perches, a little brake line work, and your in business. Oh, you will have to get a 1310 flange yoke adapter unless you want to run a regular style yoke on it. I don't think they make a 1310 for the rear, the only ones I have seen are 1350's.

As for the re-gearing...

I think most people run the newer exploder rear ends cause they have disk brakes, but really there's nothing wrong with the drums. Sounds like you got a good deal.

adamusmc2002 said:
KarlVP, just noticed where you're from, made me laugh pretty hard :)

He's only been demoted to town councilman though because he was caught trailering his junk to Mosses Lake last month.

Oh, and I would run the 8.8, it's atleast as strong as my D44 which also has drum brakes, and about $200 cheaper.

I would say run the 8.8

Seeing that you were going to re-gear the 8.25 anyway, I would just take the 8.8 and put disk brakes on the end. May just be a simple mod on the flanges.

Either way the aftermarket is bigger for the for the parts and we all know the XJ'S need better brakes in the rear. The 8.8's have a strong pinion along with a million way's you could build one. The 29 spline 8.25 is roughly as strong as a 44 but with a better pinion my eyes. Your choices are also limited as far as locker choices and what not for the 8.25 axle.

Run the 8.8.....that's my vote.....anyone else?

That's money well spent! :cheers:

metal slinger said:
Your choices are also limited as far as locker choices and what not for the 8.25 axle.

Are you changing lockers every six months or something? :) Do you need a variety so you're not running the same thing all the time? :D There are limited slip units, no-slip units, full carrier lockers, and air lockers for them...so I don't see how that's limited. IMHO the only downfall of the 8.25" is the low pinion. Hell, you can even put disks on it if you want with minimal modification.

ECKSJAY said:
Are you changing lockers every six months or something? :) Do you need a variety so you're not running the same thing all the time? :D There are limited slip units, no-slip units, full carrier lockers, and air lockers for them...so I don't see how that's limited. IMHO the only downfall of the 8.25" is the low pinion. Hell, you can even put disks on it if you want with minimal modification.
I assume he's talking about the 29 spline 8.25 not having a cheap lunch-box locker alternative. The other issue that made me swap out my 8.25 for an 8.8 is the limitation to 4.56 gears, though I heard that was being addressed. :dunno:

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
The other issue that made me swap out my 8.25 for an 8.8 is the limitation to 4.56 gears, though I heard that was being addressed. :dunno:

Forgot about that part. ;) Superior DID say that there isn't a snowball's chance in Hell at this point. :gee:

Back