• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

after crash front end problems

appxj

NAXJA Forum User
First of all i would like to say this is an awesome forum and i have learned so much from everything, i hope im posting this in the right section?
after a recent crash (big impact to passenger side front wheel) that basically folded my stock control arms i have been slowly trying to put my rig back together (not fun when its your DD) I have tried to remedy the problem by installing Rusty's adjustable upper and lower control arm mounts and having a buddy weld on new heavy duty LCA mounts. After this things were better but still not drivable, the axel has seemingly shifted to the left and there is a a grinding/awful loud clicking sound coming from the differential. When i turn the front drive shaft by hand everything is smooth except for one spot in the rotation. ALSO the passenger side wheel is tilted inwards towards the body it is all very formidable looking to a newb, any help would be appreciated.
I'm sorry about the vague description, its the best i can do with my limited knowledge.
Thanks in advance,
MT

Sounds alot like the damage on my 89. I didn't weld on new LCA mounts though (didn't need it). Is there any damage to unibody (frame)? You say you have adjustable LCA's, is that with a lift? Did you replace your trac bar (is it bent) or is the top mount bent? Lotsa weird stuff can happen in an accident and I'm just trying to throw out ideas here. Did you replace yor front axle? (Mine had a bent axle tube). Your trac bar sets the distance left to right and your axle should be right underneath. (duh, sorry).
You will have to get an alignment so maybe try to get it down to a shop and see what they say.
Good luck!

Find a used front axle with the same gear ratio. After an accident like that the axle is probably not worth saving. D30's are easy to find.

ratherbcamping said:
Find a used front axle with the same gear ratio. After an accident like that the axle is probably not worth saving. D30's are easy to find.

Agreed. The front axle is probably shot....Not only do you have to look at parts that took the direct hit, but also where the force got transferred to (i.e. bent rails, broke axle, etc....)

Back