• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no spark

gobblywobblur

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1989 xj, that runs (ran) fine, but......
I stop for gas one day, get in to leave, it does not start.
I accidentely set off the alarm, & after hitting the lock/unlock
button, it fired right up...............drove around for most of the
day, stop here, stop there, no problems. then after last stop
of the day, it did it again. Turns over fine, tried gas down
the gullet, coil checks out fine, but no spark. Could this
be alarm related? or was that a fluke? Anyone with knowledge
on this would be appreciated.

I feel that I am !!!1

alarm!!

:roll: well... i think that you got your alarm messed up. ill try and pull out the alarm and see if it still does it. if it doesnt start after the alarm, you might want to check your ignition module.

Hot wire it and then you can drive it like you stole it (as the saying goes)

Check your engine ground wire if messing around with the alarm doesnt help. Should be at the very back of the valve cover.

Is the alarm aftermarket? They usually have a starter kill, tied into the starter wire, so it wouldn't even turn over...However, when it was installed, someone may have used this on an ignition wire instead. This would cause your symptoms.

Find your ignition harness under your dash and see if anything has been cut/spliced into it. The ignition wire should be yellow, the starter wire should be green. If the yellow wire has been cut and wired into a relay, that is likely your problem. The easiest fix would be to bypass this and wire it like stock. Otherwise youd have to track down the problem in the wiring.

If nothing has been messed with in the harness, you can almost rule out the alarm as the cause. Start looking at things like the CPS sensor, Grounds, Ign Mod, etc...

Good Luck!

Back