• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny / X-Case Issues

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
1988 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L, BA10 5spd, NP231 (No SYE)

I got some questions on a few drivetrain related issues im having.

1) The first would be a low pitched squeaking, almost metal on metal sounding. It happens normally under (medium) acceleration out of 2nd and 3rd gear, like on corners. However ive heard it cruising at a constant speed and while coasting, its not constant either only a few seconds. When I do hear it I can push in the clutch and it instantly goes away. That leads me to believe its not in the axles because there still moving. I dont think its the throw out bearing either because that only spins when the clutch is in, right? Any guesses or things to check?

2) My next issue could be related to the first. I have a mild to moderate vibe right around 50mph. I crawled under the jeep and was checking my u-joints (there fine) and noticed the transfer case had some slop in the slip yoke. I can move the yoke up and down about an 1/8th inch, however theres no left to right play. Is this normal? I know theres an output bearing and bushing near the could one of these be bad and causing a vibe? The output seal is leaking now also so im thinking the vertical play caused it to fail. As for the noise in problem #1 could that be a bad output bearing or bushing on the t-case, which is also causing the vertical play?

I plan on doing some more "tests" on the commute tomorrow, so if you got any ideas let me know.

TORX

Does it look like your trans or XFR case is leaking? Even a little? Check your fluids. When the run low on fluid, most trans won't tell you there is a problem until they get noisy. Then they either are already thrashed, or they get thrashed quick. Same with the transfer case.
If the fluids are ok, the noise could be a syncro going out. My sympathies. I have a Ba10 that is getting a proper burial and replacement(probably AW-4)

tbburg said:
Does it look like your trans or XFR case is leaking? Even a little? Check your fluids. When the run low on fluid, most trans won't tell you there is a problem until they get noisy. Then they either are already thrashed, or they get thrashed quick. Same with the transfer case.
If the fluids are ok, the noise could be a syncro going out. My sympathies. I have a Ba10 that is getting a proper burial and replacement(probably AW-4)

The output seal on the transfer case is leaking, but all the fluids are fine. I may try changing the tranny oil to see if anything comes out in it and if it will help the noise.

Back