• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusted

jcwxj

NAXJA Forum User
Iam sure a few of you have had this problem. i need to replace the rotors and brake hoses on my 86 xj for inspection, one problem this truck has been sitting since 2000 everthing is rusted solid. Any ideas, tips before I tackle this project? And can anyone recommend a good rust cutting spray? Iam sure I will need lots! You might want to buy stock in the one I select!
thanks jcwxj

A lube called "Corrosion X" is the best I have seen/used. But is hard to find and a little costly. "PB Blaster" is my second choice....readily available and not expensive. Spray affected part each day for like 3 days and then go at it!!

Good Luck!

Depending on how badly rusted everything is, be prepared also to replace some hard brake lines. Even if they're good enough to get you past inspection, you might want to be your own inspector on this important safety issue. If the lines don't look too bad, make sure that you use only the best quality flare-nut wrenches on any of the flare nuts that have not already been garped up by bad wrenches. Forget the chain store stuff, even Craftsman, for this. The wrench must be a perfectly tight fit and have no flex in it at all. The fittings are SAE, and a 3/8 - 7/16 flare nut wrench of the right type, such as Snap On or K-D, though it may cost close to 15 bucks, will save you many hours of frustration and probably a few bucks in new hard lines. Otherwise, be ready with vise grips if the flares are already bad. As soon as you feel a flare crack loose from its threads, check very carefully to ensure that it is not also rusted solid to the tubing, and twisting it. You can often get it to free up with a lot of short, back and forth wiggling and lots of rust busting fluids. But once it twists, you'll need new tubing, so take your time. You'll also have to work very carefully to get rusted bleeders open after the hose work. I recently saw at an auto parts store kits to replace a sheared bleeder with a two-piece fitting using a pipe thread in the caliper. You might want to keep that in mind if you find yourself shearing a caliper fitting. Not worth the time on a rear wheel cylinder since a whole new cylinder is only about 12 bucks anyway.

Thanks for the input I sprayed everything tonite with PB. Ill give everything a coating tommorow morning and some more in early afternoon then try and break stuff loose!
jcwxj

Back