• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 x 4 light not coming on

well i actually have the same problem i have a 2000 sport 231 transfer case no lights on dash but still works and engages fine!

fuse? or possible wire near the case messed up?

X3... i also have a 2000 Sport w/231, and my light will come on sometimes, and not other times... and as mentioned, 4x4 engages fine. it hasn't been a huge concern to me, although i am curious as to why it would do this...

X4

2000 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 231 here; same problem. 4x4 engages fine, but no lights. I'm assuming the sensor that controls the lights is broken, or the wire going to it, or the wire somehow jiggled loose. I'm not too concerned, since I am pretty obsessive about making sure I don't leave 4x4 engaged on dry pavement, and haven't done so yet.

pull the plug from the sensor on t-case, blow out around the sensor. The plug has two wires for the 231 case. One wire is black. The switch simply grounds out the light on the dash, and the light comes on. So ground out the non-black wire, if light illuminates on dash, replace the switch. Kinda tough to get to, but straight forward to do.

Eric

I had the same problem! But mine actually DIDN'T engage when on. And it only turned off when I leave the mud. God for bid it works IN the mud.

2000 Sport, 231, AW-4, Light has lit once in 3 years(maybe 5K off road miles) Dealership mec. friend told me it's a common problem. T-case switch. Remove and clean or replace. I said the hell with it. If I forget to shift out , the lurch/scrub around the first corner lets me know. If I forget to shift in, well, I find out soon enough.

Hello Reader;

There is a transfercase switch sold in Pep Boys in the Help section. They have a whle bunch of diffrent little parts there. I think, but I am not sure the vaccum switch is for early models (Renix).

The real test to see if 4x4 is engaged is to take a tight turn. the drive train should protest a little. (kinda chug or hop alittle)

Hope this helps,

Pigpen

not to be rude... but i think we all know what 4x4 feels like. as others have mentioned, we're curious as to why the light doesn't come on all the time, or at all...

...i'll be checking my sensor's wires in a day or two...

Back