• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with possible blown head gasket

lumberxj89

NAXJA Forum User
Checked my oil dipstick and found some white/yellow residue on it. Drained my oil thinking blown head gasket and expected to see streaks of water since oil and water don't mix. However, couldn't see any streaks of water. Oil looks a little reddish brown. Radiator hoses have reddish deposit on the inside, kind of like clay dirt.

Does this look like blown head gasket? Cherokee runs fine.

my 91 did the same thing and I thought it was the head gasket,so I pulled the head ,and the head gasket was fine.I went ahead and had the head milled,then put it back together with new head gasket.changed the oil and ran it as a daily driver.I still get an indication of water in the oil on the dipstick.I just ignore it. I have since put over 100,000 miles on it in this condition.

Hm....if you were still getting water, I wonder if there was a slight hole in the oil pan or the seal wasn't sealing and when you'd go through a puddle or something, water would find it's way into the oil?

same sort of condition was in mine when I got it-- ran a kerosene flush and changed thermostat. The gook on the dipstick went away for a while and only recently returned-- compression check yeilded good results, coolant loss wasn't an issue, and the oil pressure has never dropped below normal. I chalked it up to condensation and moisture building up over time-- I don't believe it's anything to stress over-- if you see/notice it, it's time to change the oil.
--Shorty

Back