• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hard is it to do an SYE kit

BIgDaddyChia

RRC Organizer
So I have the SYE kit, and I have a choice, I have a jeep tech who will come over to my place and do that and the rear main seal for 200 or i can do it myself. The RMS I am not to worried about but I have never cracked open a transfer case before. I have mechanical know how and all the tools, instructions and a haynes manual, but I'm affriad to screw something up. Is it hard to do or am i just doubting my self.

It is not hard at all. However I have to admit for 200.00 for both I would have gotten lazy!

Just like XJedi23 said 242 is easy to do. Which T/C do you have Big Daddy?
Hack n Tap is a piece of cake.

I just did the full HD kit on my 231 and it was easier than i could have ever hoped. Keep in mine I am the kind of guy that doesn't mind getting his hands dirty but I may not have a clue what I am doing.

Everything was very straight forward it will take an afternoon, taking in the learning curve for myself. Pocket the money and buy some beer and a good set of lock ring pliers.

Good Lock Ring Pliers will take you along long way in the SYE install. I did mine in the jeep and it was cake. IMO the SYE is easier than getting to the top t-case bolts :D.

I would do another SYE before a rear main seal any day. Just the mess and awkwardness of the rear main made it a more fiddly affair than the SYE which was actually fun. ;)
$200 for just the rear main is pretty good let along for the SYE as well.

Back