• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No POWER, lights, radio, igntion, nothing! Help stranded, need to fix now

99xjclassic

NAXJA Forum User
No POWER, lights, radio, ignition! Help stranded, need to fix now

Let me set the scence. I have a 1994 xj that needed to be rewired through the drivers side door. I rewired everything, and when I went to hook up the power windows, the radio went out along with the lights. It will not even turn over now, no power what so ever!. I checked all the fuses (under the dash and under the hood. They all looked good. Any advice would be great, I am stranded at the moment and need to fix this asap.. Thanks!

Last edited:
How are the connections to the battery itself? Tight with NO corrosion?
I've found the negative sometimes is not seated all the way on the battery.
HTH.

tommyr said:
How are the connections to the battery itself? Tight with NO corrosion?
I've found the negative sometimes is not seated all the way on the battery.
HTH.

Yes they are, thank you for your input. It is appreciated.

Well this may be an obvious question, but are you sure you wired everything correctly? It sounds like something is grounding out that should not be.

Was the battery disconnected when you were doing the work?

Also check the connections at the firewall. My 87 died in traffic one day and I didn't even have power too the flashers. Some between the engine bay, firewall and pdc I had a corroded/broken wire.

I had overlay a few new wires and I was good to go.

Could this be the 30 amp ciruit breaker. Do circuit breakers go bad? How do you know? I will try that next. I might pull the PDC out and check out the wires.

Last edited:
Have you tried to jump it? Or checked the voltage at the battery? Batteries can go bad internally such that you will read 0 volts across them

Try disconnecting the wireing you did. If there is a dead short on a critical circuit, it can be hard to diagnose. Go back to the configuration you had when it ran, then go forward form there.

The battery is fine, I had it tested. I undid all my wiring, yet still nothing. I have to believe this is something tied to the power windows and locks. Is there something ran with these components that would make everything lose power? I am dead in the water right now. Thanks

FIXEDRe: No POWER, lights, radio, igntion, nothing! Help stranded, need to fix now

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This whole time it was the battery connections:thumbup: ....I know, I know..... everybody told me, I did check them and they were tight. It wasn't until I took the battery out and reinstalled it and see the corrosion. I admit I did over look this, it just threw me off when I was working on the windows and locks. I just have to remember the basics. And to think I was going to tear into the ignition and pdc. Thank God and the people on Naxja:D for looking out for a brother.. You guys rock, back to my wiring fiasco..

Back