• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this thing under my XJ?

Cipey

NAXJA Forum User
i consulted chiltons and haynes but since i don't know what it is, its hard to find out what it is. even searched here with 'black box', 'under xj', 'fuel systems componants', ect, ect.

its bolted to my underside near the left rear wheel and forward of the fuel tank inboard of the frame rail. it appears to have a fuel line and electrical wires running into it.

plz help

tia

cipey

i was thinking fuel filter but the fuel filter doesnt have wires running to it.

maybe someone ran an electric fuel pump.

no i don't think so about the pump, i believe its been there since manufacture.....mabey it would help if i said its a 1998 i6 auto

Ummm.... that would be your fuel pump.

What year is your XJ...and isn't the pump in the tank on the newer ones?

It's part of the emmissions system, charcoal canister. The black box thingy you see is a shield around it.....

Always wondered what that was, but I thought the charcoal canister was on the passenger side firewall. Plus what do the wires do? I though a charcoal canister was just a big charcoal lined filter, like a catalitic converter.

My bad...mine is older. On mine, the fuel pump is where he described, and the canister is in the engine compartment

XJ858 said:
Always wondered what that was, but I thought the charcoal canister was on the passenger side firewall. Plus what do the wires do? I though a charcoal canister was just a big charcoal lined filter, like a catalitic converter.
I saw a fuel line diagram recently that placed the charcoal canister near the fuel tank in later model XJ's. Though I've never seen one for real. If it is the charcoal canister the wires are likely to the purge solenoid.

It IS the vapor recovery canister!

you all don't know what you're talking about, that's the new and improved flux capacitor...just don't go 88 mph!!

Back