• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Too Alloy or not too Alloy

little red cheroke

NAXJA Forum User
vehicle: 2001 XJ, 3" lift, 31" MT's (32" TSL's trail), HP D30 front w/lock rite/4.10s, 8.8 w/lsd/discs/4.10s. this summer im going to be going to a 6" full traction LA kit and eaither 33's or 35's. i came accross a deal for some alloy usa shafts for the front for about $200 cheaper than new shafts (these are used) my only concern is that i want to have a weak link some where in the front end to prevent blowing up my R&P. Should i keep the stock shafts? replacments are a dime a dozen, and not that hard to replace on the trails. plus if i had alloy shafts and broke the R&P, repair would be MUCH more costly.

what do you guys think? this jeep is a DD and sees the trails about once or twice a month.

too alloy, or not to alloy? that is the question

Since you're not running big tires the chances of you breaking your ring and pinion are slim. I say go alloy and have no breakdowns at all. Your front axle should hold up to many years of abuse with those tires and that gear ratio. Why break stock front axles if you can avoid it? Also, $200 is a smokin hot deal for alloy USA axles.

My opinion would be to buy the alloy shafts, and invest some of the savings in a seriously sturdy D30 diff cover. It will help stiffen the housing and prevent gear deflection, thus improving the strength of the unit as a whole.

:)

You have to do a *lot* of upgrading before the ring and pinion become the weak link.

And I second a sturdy diff cover, huge difference.

Back