• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternative spare tire carriers for a 2000 XJ

What are the options to carry your spare tire? Are there roof racks, rear mounts, underbody mounts?

What do you recommend? Any particular manufacturers, models and retailers?

What type of roof basket do you like?

What hitches do you use?

What size and manufacturer do you use for your hitch?

Too.... many...... questions..... can'not process all these questions....
seriously man, for the tire carrier, I just got a 2 foot piece of angle iron, beveled the ends to fit in the mag and punched a couple of holes in for good mesrure. Coated the thing in tremclad and bolted it to the roof rack. I use the factory tire holder from the trunk to hold it down on the roof, and just to make sure it doesn't unscrew itself while I'm driving down the road, I drilled a hole in the pin and stuck a safety clip in there for good mesure. PM me later for pics, I got to go out for my daughters soccer practice now...

Phil :canada:

check ebay or the for sale forum for Mopar (X-shaped) tire carriers for XJ's. Jeep no longer makes 'em, but I see 'em on here every once and again for sale. Curt hitches are nice, but no matter what hitch you have , they eventually rust out. Get a Class 3, shove a D-ring in it, and go like hell!

Back